• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

When will VSELP DIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIAN99

Member
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
HAMILTON NJ
Hello:
I live in Trenton N.J. and my Police Dept. is still using VSELP digital which can not be received by digital scanners. I have been waiting 2 years for them to change to APCO25
because I was told that VSELP was on it's way out. I bought two digital scanners. I guess I overeacted. I listend to my POLICE DEPT. FOR 30 YEARS BEFORE THEY WENT DIGITAL IN 1996. Does anyone have any information?
Thank You,
Brian
 

mancow

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 19, 2003
Messages
6,943
Reaction score
1,136
Location
N.E. Kansas
VSELP astro sabers can be had fairly cheap on ebay. Unless they are encrypted one should work fine.
 
N

N_Jay

Guest
BRIAN99 said:
Hello:
I live in Trenton N.J. and my Police Dept. is still using VSELP digital which can not be received by digital scanners. I have been waiting 2 years for them to change to APCO25
because I was told that VSELP was on it's way out. I bought two digital scanners. I guess I overeacted. I listend to my POLICE DEPT. FOR 30 YEARS BEFORE THEY WENT DIGITAL IN 1996. Does anyone have any information?
Thank You,
Brian

They will change when they want to or when they have to. ;)

It is up to their funding and equipment needs.
 

RocketNJ

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2003
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
192
Location
Pequannock, NJ
They will change when a critical piece of equipment dies and can no longer be replaced.
THey'll run that system to the ground.
 

steveng

Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2004
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Location
On The Shores Of Beautiful Lake Erie
Motorola RSS will not support the VSELP Astro Saber after 2007. Thats why Cleveland has begun taking bids for a new radio system. Also Vselp Vocons are becoming much harder to come by. Steveng
 

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Reaction score
7
Location
West of Charlotte NC
Just because mother M does not support it, does not mean they won't be used. My county Sheriff still has some units using HT600s :)
 

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Joined
Jun 5, 2002
Messages
3,738
Reaction score
706
Location
Hubert, NC
Grog said:
Just because mother M does not support it, does not mean they won't be used. My county Sheriff still has some units using HT600s :)

The thing is, HT600's are analog only, so any analog radio can talk to them and vice versa.

The thing with VSELP is that only Motorola VSELP Astro Sabers, VSELP Astro Spectras and some VSELP XTS3000's will work. Now Motorola does not even support or sell anything to replace old VSELP Vocons, so if a radio breaks, there is nothing to replace it with. They'll try to sell you IMBE radios which will not work even though they're digital.

As someone has said in the past, "Analog = Interoperability."

Edit: Forgot to add, I personally think those old Genesis radios, HT600, MT1000, etc, were awesome radios. We abused the crap out of them and they kept on ticking.
 

K4APR

Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2003
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
29
Location
Chesapeake, VA.
rescue161 said:
I personally think those old Genesis radios, HT600, MT1000, etc, were awesome radios. We abused the crap out of them and they kept on ticking.

I work on HT600s and MT1000s almost daily and they really are a workhorse. Owned several myself. We have alot of older PD and FD departments in my part of Virginia and they are trying to make the old gear hold up...and they do. I rarely have to retire one.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top