Where are all the Saskatchewan Scanner listeners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2117

http://www.saskscan.com

Its still in the works, haven't had alot of time to work on it for a while. Its been a VERY rough past couple months for me but I may sink myself back into it again to get my mind off all this stuff.

mark2117

richster said:
EMS in your area are on Sasktel Fleetnet. What TG they operate on is not known, but they are definately on Fleetnet.

Regards,
Richster.

Big River EMS 12-141

TrunkLid

RBerezowski said:
You can find the local frequencies for the RCMP in the database on Radio Reference. Here is a link to a list of the old RCMP VHF frequencies used province wide in Saskatchewan.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&aid=2045

As I said, those are the old frequencies. You will find Big River using Ch 9 (Local) for car to car communications, and one or more of the other frequencies for longer range communications. Plug in all 12 channels (don't bother with the "Input" frequencies) and start scanning. You should hear something, unless they've moved to the new system.

The RCMP in Saskatchewan are moving to a new digital VHF trunked radio network. Right now they are using both the new and old systems. I do not know if Big River has been converted to the new system yet or not. The new system is P25 digital, so you will need a digital scanner. There are a few frequencies for the new system in the database.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=4632

The frequencies for the new system should be in the 138 to 140 MHz range. I would search that range, looking for a digital control channel signal. The control channel signal will be a continuous data signal, and should not be hard to find. You will have to continue to search the same range looking for the voice channels though. There may be 4 or 5 of them.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Regina

Damn, I knew they had changed.

I live in Yorkton Saskatchewan and since about January I have been unable to pick up ANYTHING with my Bearcat BC350C 800 MHz scanner I had figured that they have changed up their radio system.

Are those new digital scanners legal in this country?

Can't you pick up cell phones and cordless telephones with them?

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Unclear if Digital Scanners are legal. Suggest checking with Industry Canada. Most new scanners cannot decode digital cell phones or digital cordless phones. Unlike the U. S. I do not think it is illegal to listen to Analog cell/cordless phones in Canada [from past history there really is not much to listen to on cell phones]. Only older scanners would be able to do this. However, since cell/cordless phones have very limited range, cell phones use switching links would only be able to hear very local [ie: less than 1 km] analog cell phones. Plus, I believe all cell phone providers will be switching entirely to digital this fall, NO cell phone would be monitorable unless one is willing to shell out mega thousands of dollars.

xlq771

The APCO-25 capable digital scanners are legal in Canada. No license is required for the radios. About 10 years ago Industry Canada put out an internal policy circular regarding licensing of digital scanners, but it has no status in law, which is clearly stated in the circular.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
xlq771: could you please give me a web link to this statement or circular?

Thanks

TrunkLid

I would really like to see it too.

Don't really wanna get busted because "I didn't know.".

I took a glance on eBay for APCO-25 scanners and damn they aren't cheap!

lawman

My understanding is that there are no licenses required for the digital scanner, but in order to purchase a digital scanner, you have to produce your amateur radio operator license, or whatever the ham radio operator license is called.

TrunkLid

lawman said:
My understanding is that there are no licenses required for the digital scanner, but in order to purchase a digital scanner, you have to produce your amateur radio operator license, or whatever the ham radio operator license is called.

Unless you buy one off eBay.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
This is the famous Industry Canada document. I'm not going to go into all the issues I have raised in the past. Show me a paper copy of a "digital scanner license" and/or tell me what law (specific title and verse, etc) one is breaking when they don't have a "digital scanner license". Then I'll be convinced.

Ask IC 10 times and receive 10 different answers.

SCPD

QRT
Jay911 said:
This is the famous Industry Canada document. I'm not going to go into all the issues I have raised in the past. Show me a paper copy of a "digital scanner license" and/or tell me what law (specific title and verse, etc) one is breaking when they don't have a "digital scanner license". Then I'll be convinced.

Ask IC 10 times and receive 10 different answers.

For a laugh, go in to your district IC office and ask for one. By the time they figure out what to hell your talking about, we will have a new PM (Tim Horton)

I heard of only one person that went too the IC office and actually ask for a license. 4 hours later he was sent home and just before he left he was told "Forget about-it"

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Some digital scanners purchased 2 years ago and an IC license included within the box.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I think you're saying that some scanners sold included a license application. IIRC, the truth is that RadioWorld included an application for a radio station license in the box when they ship out the scanners. Those are the application forms one would use if they were setting up a radio tower for their fire department, or buying a fleet of radios for their courier service. They're not "digital scanner licenses".

Trust me.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
That was the problem, the license application had no place to enter info. for a digital scanner, thus I put the license app. away somewhere. But the scanner did not come from Radioworld, so other stores were including it as well. So there was [is] confusion on licensing of scanners. Seems to have gone the way CB went years ago.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
At one time RadioWorld was making people sign a waiver saying they had a digital license.. I guess just to cover themselves if police or Uniden came calling.

I know OPP here in Ontario were very upset because they were promised there radios could not be listened to, then all the tow trucks were listening. I guess good old radio sales guys.

Trunklid - take a look at my 396 APCO P25 scanner its currently at $255

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230250595041&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013

Again shameless plug I know

TrunkLid said:
I took a glance on eBay for APCO-25 scanners and damn they aren't cheap!

TrunkLid

torontokris said:
At one time RadioWorld was making people sign a waiver saying they had a digital license.. I guess just to cover themselves if police or Uniden came calling.

I know OPP here in Ontario were very upset because they were promised there radios could not be listened to, then all the tow trucks were listening. I guess good old radio sales guys.

Trunklid - take a look at my 396 APCO P25 scanner its currently at $255

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230250595041&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013

Again shameless plug I know

Awesome! Thanks Man!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.