Where to buy cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Highland Park, NJ
Does anyone have any idea where I could buy, online, a 50' length of RG-8 Quad Shield with a PL-259 on one end and a BNC on the other end already attached? Thanks! I need it for a Riamond Discone I'm planning on putting up. Still need to buy grounding rod, etc, but I know where I could get all those.
 

JohnWayne

Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Lynchburg, VA
Do you want RG8 50ohm radio cable, or do you want RG6 75ohm cable TV cable?

Let me know and I will give you a quote for your jumper.

Thanks,
Jeff
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
Reaction score
4
If you're receiving only, and not transmitting, take Jeff's hint, go with RG6, it's better, cheaper, easier to work with, and the 75 ohm impedance won't matter.
 

Al42

Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
3,457
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, NY, USA
And you don't need quad shielded, just good quality cable. (Cheap cable can short, due to carbon migration from the outer jacket, in a couple of years.)
 

JohnWayne

Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Lynchburg, VA
The best bang for the buck in a scanner cable is probably the .400" diameter double sheilded cables like the LMR-400 or CNT-400. They are fairly flexible, low cost per foot, and the connectors are low cost. Once you start getting in to 1/2" and above cables the connectors become very expensive.

A 50' CNT-400 UHF-male to BNC-male is $49.90 from me. That includes silver/Teflon RF industries connectors and heavy-duty strain reliefs. All of my cables are custom made to order in our shop; not in some factory overseas.

Jeff
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
JEFF / I know this is a little off topic, but was wondering if you could custom make a cable that would go from my PC USB port to a Pro 95 scanner ( 1/8" phone plug )?

Jerry
 

JohnWayne

Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Lynchburg, VA
Jerry:

I could certainly build that cable, but I don't think it will work for what you want to do, which is programming the scanner I presume.

The programming cable for those scanners is more than just some wires. There are active and passive components in the cable that let it talk to the scanner. To build a real USB cable for programming those scanners would take some research and development.

My advice would be to use a USB-serial adapter.

Jeff
 

eyes00only

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
2,816
Reaction score
109
Location
Denver Colorado
Thanks Jeff / I was afraid of that. It would cost me approx. $60, I guess, to do the trick. I think I'll stick to doing it by hand. I'm saving for a 396, and I suppose I will still need to get the USB / serial port cable, but at least it comes with a cable.

Jerry
 
Joined
Jun 19, 2004
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Location
Highland Park, NJ
Jeff,

After looking at your website, I noticed discone antenna for sale there (ADWMON64). I was wondering about the performance of this antenna as compared to a Diamond discone and in general? It seems to have less elements (which I would assume is a negative), but it is small and has a lower profile, and is cheaper (which are both pluses). I would be interested in possibly purchasing both this antenna and the cable. Thanks!
 

JohnWayne

Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2004
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Location
Lynchburg, VA
I have honestly never used either of those discones. One thing that may sway your decision is that it is taking me a LONG time to special order stuff from Andrew/Antenna Specialists right now, so it could be over a month before I got the antenna in.

I've never heard anything about about the Diamond discone, so I would say go ahead and get it.

Thanks,
Jeff
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top