Which scanner will support police, rescue, emergency broadcasts in my area?

gschettl

How do I know what type of scanner will be effective for emergency info reception during a disaster in my area. I live in Jordan, Minnesota, Scott County. Zip code 55352. I'm told I'll need to know analog/trunked/digital/digital trunked etc. to know which scanner will support police, rescue, emergency broadcasts in my area.

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
How do I know what type of scanner will be effective for emergency info reception during a disaster in my area. I live in Jordan, Minnesota, Scott County. Zip code 55352. I'm told I'll need to know analog/trunked/digital/digital trunked etc. to know which scanner will support police, rescue, emergency broadcasts in my area.
Which site are you trying to use?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
You’ll need a digital Phase 1 scanner, that armer system is huge but there’s a site for scott co. https://www.radioreference.com/db/sid/3508. Then I’d set the scanner for talkgroup search for a few days until you find your area regulars in use. Then build your scanlists accordingly PD/EMS/FD etc’. Or get a more expensive scanner that all you have to do is hook up a gps and enter your 55352 then set range for preferred distance. Those SDS and BCD scanners have the database already in the scanner, (you have to update occasionally) but that’s the easy way. Some of those talkgroups are DE (Digital Encrypted) you won’t hear them. Good luck.

Last edited:

gschettl

Thanks for your detailed reply. Trying to keep it under $100 since I'll likely never use it unless it's an emergency. Also I'm wanting this to be simple rather than a research & learning project so I hope I don't need to add in a GPS or anything? Looks like I won't be in my price bracket if I get the kind that automatically hones in based on my zip code. Any make & model number recommendations?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your detailed reply. Trying to keep it under $100 since I'll likely never use it unless it's an emergency. Also I'm wanting this to be simple rather than a research & learning project so I hope I don't need to add in a GPS or anything? Looks like I won't be in my price bracket if I get the kind that automatically hones in based on my zip code. Any make & model number recommendations?

You won't be spending $100. Jordan is part of the Carver/Scott simulcast. There are only two scanners which can properly decode simulcast - Uniden SDS 100/200, and they are quite spendy.

Alternatively, you could use something like a RTL SDR stick. Software defined radio (SDR) is a radio receiver which plugs into a computer, and you use software to decode. It's cheap, but it takes some doing to get it working, depending on the software package.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
You won't be spending $100. Jordan is part of the Carver/Scott simulcast. There are only two scanners which can properly decode simulcast - Uniden SDS 100/200, and they are quite spendy.

Aren't they encrypted anyway?