Whistler 1065 USB Download issues.

RandomUser4

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I've been trying for a few weeks and coming up sort with trying to program my Whistler 1065.

Background-
I inherited this scanner with pre-programmed frequences from a deceased relative that lived in my area. I did not receive the USB cable.

I've purchased two different cables for the scanner:
This cable on amazon
This cable (or something like it) on eBay
I have not been able to find an in-stock version of the official cable.
I do not use the mono adapter to connect.

Of note:
Both cables seem to work- I can trigger the software download on the scanner and manipulate the scanner in ARC500's virtual control, so I know the cable is working, so it doesn't seem to be a driver nor cable issue.

Software:
I've tried everything I've heard mentioned here, but the one I try most is Arc500. I currently have a demo version which is supposed to have the same support as full. I'm not going to be purchasing the software if I can't get it to work.

I've made sure I have the latest release of Arc500, I've installed the Default drivers with ARC, as well as the drivers that came with the cable.
Running the software in windows compatibility mode for win7 doesn't seem to matter. My computer runs on win10.

Communications Port:
Comm4 generally speaking. It's been assigned and working properly, I'm fluent in figuring this out, I have many devices that need custom comm port configuration, from WSJT-X to My telescope. I'm not really sure what baud rate the whistler defaults to, nor any of the other custom options, so I've left those to default.

The error:
The default file folder \My Scanner Data Files\ARC500 ends up with the below commerror.txt file:
06-07-2024 com error0 where 06-07-2024 is (obviously)the date despite multiple runs and boots of the program, this is the only line.

The experience:
It doesn't seem to matter if I start the software with the cable plugged in or not, nor with the radio on or off, the user experience is the same:

I go to Scanner -> Download from scanner.
Select usb/comm4 (interestingly I display all usb/comm#'s from 1-99) then start download.
The radio will switch to filesys->clone, run to 100%, then reboot pretty quickly.
Nothing happens software side, the progress bar doesn't move, the green start download box doesn't unclick itself.
The object information screen doesn't update with numbers, all remain at 0.
Clicking into conventional/talk groups/etc. all gives no data.
The backup/restore utility acts the same, gives a chance to name the backup file, but no file is generated.
Virtual control works fine, I can change the LCD brightness, run through the menus, toggle scanning, etc.

I haven't tried uploading anything as I've heard uploads overwrite existing data. Keeping the data currently in the radio is important to me.

Anyone see anything I'm missing? I'm getting terribly frustrated.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Could someone have wiped the scanner before you tried downloading the info? Does it still receive some systems and/or talkgroups from data that is stored in the scanner?

What other programs have you used prior to trying to download the data with ARC500Pro?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to the Radio Reference forums! If your cable has the mono adapter on the end, remove it. The WS1065 requires a TRS stereo plug. If virtual control works, you must be plugged into the PC/IF jack and have communication. We have had a number of members plug into the headphone jack. Does the scanner appear to be scanning frequencies and systems? Do you see the 20 scan lists on the scanner display? I am beginning to wonder if you have anything in the scanner. It may have been erased. When you Download from Scanner, you should see the contents of the scanner in ARC500. You should also see the blue progress bar in ARC500. Click on Conventional, Talkgroup, and Trunk Systems in the Object Browser to view scanner contents. After that, go to the File tab, click on Save As, name the file, and save it. ARC500 programming files have a .gr5 extension. It would help to know your city, county, and state and which systems and agencies you would like to monitor. Systems change and I will be able to look up your area in the database to see if your scanner can still receive those systems. I remember seeing something that there may be a limited number of uploads and downloads in the demo version. I have had no problems using ARC500 on both Windows 10 & 11. I use ARC500 for all of my programming. After I check the database, I will let you know if you should go ahead and purchase the keys and register the software to see if that solves your problems. I am also going to check if there are any limitations in the demo version.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just received word from Butel Software that there are limits on the number of uploads and downloads using the demo version. There is a popup that tells you the limits when you first run the software. You have probably exceeded the limits and that is why you are no longer able to upload to or download from the scanner. That would explain why there is no progress bar. Once I know your location, I will be able to determine if you should purchase the keys and register the software.

RandomUser4

Premium Subscriber
Could someone have wiped the scanner before you tried downloading the info? Does it still receive some systems and/or talkgroups from data that is stored in the scanner?

What other programs have you used prior to trying to download the data with ARC500Pro?
No, the scanner still scans local channels. I hand wrote out a list of about 30 channels that are stored in the internal memory.
what it should look like,

it should not just be a straight wire.
Yeah, this is sort of what I'm worried about, it's definitely a straight cable. Stock says there's 2 of those left which is an improvement over last time I visited, I'll try one of those.
Welcome to the Radio Reference forums! If your cable has the mono adapter on the end, remove it.
It does not.
The WS1065 requires a TRS stereo plug. If virtual control works, you must be plugged into the PC/IF jack and have communication. We have had a number of members plug into the headphone jack. Does the scanner appear to be scanning frequencies and systems?
Yes
Do you see the 20 scan lists on the scanner display?
10 scan lists? I see the numbers 1-0 when it's scanning.
I am beginning to wonder if you have anything in the scanner. It may have been erased.
The scanner definitely has data in it, local PD's, state trooper frequencies, etc.
When you Download from Scanner, you should see the contents of the scanner in ARC500.
All the numbers after download stay 0, and clicking through the different groups show no data, usually just empty grids.
You should also see the blue progress bar in ARC500.
This bar does not move at all.
I remember seeing something that there may be a limited number of uploads and downloads in the demo version. I have had no problems using ARC500 on both Windows 10 & 11. I use ARC500 for all of my programming.
This could be, but I've never successfully downloaded anything and certainly not uploaded. I do not see any indication of a counter, just that it's the demo version.
After I check the database, I will let you know if you should go ahead and purchase the keys and register the software to see if that solves your problems. I am also going to check if there are any limitations in the demo version.
I'll re-connect and re-try, but nothing shows up anywhere in the system.

Thanks all for the feedback.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you hear activity on the scanner? Please let me know your city, county, and state so I can check the database to determine what you are able to scan in your area.

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the scanner, press PROG, FUNC, GLOB (F3). Scroll down to CCDump. If that is turned on, it could possibly interfere with scanner communication.

RandomUser4

Premium Subscriber
what it should look like,

it should not just be a straight wire.
Picked up one of these, just arrived to my house.

Plugged in the cord, opened up arc500.

Scanner -> Download from scanner.
Scanner tripped the download, progress bar progressed, pulled all info from the scanner the first time.

If anyone comes across this thread in the future- the Amazon/Ebay cords might be cheaper, but they basically do nothing and do not work to transport data between a computer and a 1065.