Whistler WS1010 Version 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbeede

Feed Provider
Ok so I had my scanner going yesterday, just like normal scanning through several bands and then all of a sudden it stops on
156.000 and makes noise like someone throwing frozen fries into a deep fryer, what would cause this?
Also today on low band it stopped and made a noise like fireworks going off, and I'm talking the big star burst kind of fireworks not the large boom sound
but the fizzing out that happens at the end of the fire works. Any thoughts or ideas on what these strange sounds could be over the scanner?

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Any thoughts or ideas on what these strange sounds could be over the scanner?

Yup. Digital signals, most likely P25, DMR, or NXDN. Since the WS1010 is an analog scanner it cannot decode the digital signal and you hear those strange sounds instead.

N8IAA

Ok so I had my scanner going yesterday, just like normal scanning through several bands and then all of a sudden it stops on
156.000 and makes noise like someone throwing frozen fries into a deep fryer, what would cause this?
Also today on low band it stopped and made a noise like fireworks going off, and I'm talking the big star burst kind of fireworks not the large boom sound
but the fizzing out that happens at the end of the fire works. Any thoughts or ideas on what these strange sounds could be over the scanner?

Just so you know, 156.600 is just 10 KHz off of a Control Channel on the statewide MOSWIN P-25 system for your county {156.610). You are hearing the digital noise generated by that tower. Especially if you are near Doniphan.

drbeede

Feed Provider
Just so you know, 156.600 is just 10 KHz off of a Control Channel on the statewide MOSWIN P-25 system for your county {156.610). You are hearing the digital noise generated by that tower. Especially if you are near Doniphan.
yeah I was running a general scan with all banks and all frequencies that the scanner are capable of, I don't have any digital frequencies programmed in on my custom list which I listen to normally, I was just curious what I could hear that isn't listed in the Radio Reference Database and was running a general scan whenever I heard those strange noises, anyways thanks for the input I figured I was picking up stray interference of some kind. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.