Whistler WS1040 C

Bpbazzarre

Hello,

I just got the Whistler WS1040. I am trying to set up Charles County Maryland Fire dispatch. I used radio reference to set up the frequencies and then I set up the main dispatch talkgroup. I am not getting anything. I think im missing a step or maybe this scanner is not capable for this system. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just got the Whistler WS1040. I am trying to set up Charles County Maryland Fire dispatch. I used radio reference to set up the frequencies and then I set up the main dispatch talkgroup. I am not getting anything. I think im missing a step or maybe this scanner is not capable for this system. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Without seeing the programming and how you entered the system it would be very difficult to figure out if you missed a step. The scanner should be able to receive that type of system however it is a simulcast system and all scanners (except the SDS series scanners) have difficulties ranging from mild to severe in reception of simulcast systems. Click on the previous simulcast systems words for more information.

Capture1.PNG

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just got the Whistler WS1040. I am trying to set up Charles County Maryland Fire dispatch.
It is far faster and easier to use programming software. For the WS1040 you can use either ARC500 or PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic to program my Radio Shack PRO-106 and PRO-197. The PSR-500, PRO-106, PRO-651, and WS1040 are all essentially the same scanner and use the same software. For the Charles County Motorola trunked system, custom 800 MHz rebanded tables will be needed for the system to work properly. Whichever software you decide to use, I would be happy to share a programming file with you to program the scanner. If you have the Whistler programming cable, you will need to use the CDM20830_Setup.exe driver installer to be able to communicate with the scanner. Download and run the installer to install the driver on your computer. WS1040/WS1065 Scanner Firmware Updates and Downloads

Bpbazzarre

Thanks for all your help and quick reply. I was able to get it working. My phone screen wasn't showing frequency list and I was missing all the red controll channels. It's working now.

Thanks!

@tvengr Thanks for the information. I will definitely keep you in mind with programing through the computer. When i was reading through the manual I seen that function but never turned on the laptop.

yogich

Premium Subscriber
It is far faster and easier to use programming software. For the WS1040 you can use either ARC500 or PSREdit500. Both have a free trial period to decide which one you like better. I use Butel ARC500 Basic to program my Radio Shack PRO-106 and PRO-197. The PSR-500, PRO-106, PRO-651, and WS1040 are all essentially the same scanner and use the same software. For the Charles County Motorola trunked system, custom 800 MHz rebanded tables will be needed for the system to work properly. Whichever software you decide to use, I would be happy to share a programming file with you to program the scanner. If you have the Whistler programming cable, you will need to use the CDM20830_Setup.exe driver installer to be able to communicate with the scanner. Download and run the installer to install the driver on your computer. WS1040/WS1065 Scanner Firmware Updates and Downloads
I also have the WS1040... never had a trunking-capable system, before. I, too, am getting nothing after programming Berrien County, Michigan. I created a new talk group, after creation of the initial talk group with the control frequencies (as well as all the others, listed, after), with wildcards all the way down, thinking (hoping) that would cover any and all possibilities. I am afraid I have no clue as to rebanding, if it is even needed. Hoping you will see this, and be able to help --even tho this thread is weeks old, now.

Regards.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I also have the WS1040... never had a trunking-capable system, before. I, too, am getting nothing after programming Berrien County, Michigan.
First, you need to create a P25 Auto system. For Berrien Springs, the Sumnerville site will be the best. Put the 2 red control channel capable frequencies into the frequency list for the system.
3 (3)004 (4)SumnervilleBerrien851.4125851.8125851.9125852.125852.4125853.5875c853.9125c
You will need to eliminate the lower case "c" after the frequencies. Talkgroups will need to be assigned to a scan list. It's far faster and easier to use programming software than to program manually using the scanner menus.

yogich

Premium Subscriber
I think I understand, and your frequency list is much, appreciated. As for programming, I have no Windows computer ...yet. I ordered an inexpensive Lenovo, to be used only for programming the scanner for multiple areas in which I normally find, myself, which should be delivered in about 3 days.

Once I program the initial TG, with the control frequencies, would an additional TG be necessary, or would the initial one work for any activity?

Deeply appreciate your timely, reply!

Regards.

yogich

Premium Subscriber
For now, you can program a wildcard talkgroup. You will receive all talkgroups from the site.
Addendum: three hours, and still nothing. I'm not doing something, right, apparently... does the psredit500 software autoprogram for a given location..? I was looking at the interface on my Linux box (and no, it doesn't show the content of my scanner), and saw something about that under one of the menus.

Still not quite sure what I'm doing. Haven't had a scanner in some, time. Last, was an analog Bearcat about 2 yrs ago, and I did use a programming interface. I had to manually put everything in place.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you attach your PSREdit500 programming file, I will check it for problems. You will need to zip the file to be able to attach it. Click on Attach files and open the zipped file.