Why did Uniden leave China and moved to Vietnam?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
From Wikipedia

Uniden operates globally, but the main commercial activities are situated in the United States and Japan. Manufacturing sites have been located in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and the Philippines. In 2008, Uniden began to move production from China to Vietnam because of lower wages.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Because China tries to own everything built in China also Uniden did not want Uniden Scanners built during the day and clones built in the same plant at night.
For Sale SDR-200 only $299
For Sale SDR-100 only $199
Yep, the rampant IP theft that is way of life in the "land of the rat" is why any company that values their IP would steer clear of China where the government supports, bank rolls and encourages theft of intellectual property.

Ubbe

For every product that a company let China produce there will be a pirate copy available. It can even come from the same factory and produced at the times when the original product are not scheduled to be produced and the workers involved gets an extra bonus from the profit being made.

/Ubbe

Icanhearit

I believe is just for low wages, it is naive to think moving to Vietnam will stop cloning, in fact one cloning becomes 2.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
For every product that a company let China produce there will be a pirate copy available. It can even come from the same factory and produced at the times when the original product are not scheduled to be produced and the workers involved gets an extra bonus from the profit being made.

/Ubbe
A decade ago somehow I ended up corresponding someone I thought was a representative of a company. I was asking questions and he offered me a sample and very good sale but through paypal. I took a shot and 2 weeks later received brand radio accessories, same thing I had, all the stickers, packaging and markings of what I had genuine. It seemed weird and I later looked into this persons name and found out it was apparently a factory floor manager I was talking to that was selling me "out the back door"

Last edited:

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
For totally personal reasons, I prefer to avoid purchasing anything made in China. If it's not made here, I'd rather purchase from a company not in cahoots with a strategic adversary. I know sometimes it's unavoidable, and I have a couple of items made there, but over the past couple of years I've gone out of my way to avoid buying anything made there, and I don't care one whit who dislikes my opinion on the matter.