Why log/record scanner audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfaure

I'm reading there are a lot of folks that record the scanner audio and I'm puzzled why people do this? Obviously to listen to later, but why??? for me the excitement is that its now and real time. Is this to listen to in times of no traffic just for entertainment? Please explain.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Why log?

That question can be answered by John Blutarsky from Animal House when Larry Kroger was given his nickname "Pinto" .... "Why Pinto?"
.. **BURRRRRP** WHY NOT?!

smithken

Premium Subscriber
For me I like to listen to the fire communications when there's a big fire in the city. It doesn't happen often and I'm usually not at the scanner when it happens so having the recordings is nice.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
To me logging is different from recording.

I'll often log transmissions for a couple of reasons. One is to get a feel for which channels seem to be more active than others. Another reason, probably insignificant to many, is to document newly discovered Radio ID numbers for a system that I'm particularly interested in. I know the method for assigning Radio IDs and how they relate to call numbers. So if a new unit comes on line, one I do not have "alpha-tagged", I can add it to my list.

On recording, while I listen to the scanner quite often, I don't continuously listen to it. So I may get a "wild hair" and turn the recording feature on, just to listen to stuff I may have missed. Yeah, it is after the fact, but I look at it like bread - a half a loaf is better than no loaf.

troymail

Silent Key
... to document newly discovered Radio ID numbers for a system that I'm particularly interested in...

^ this

and, given I don't sit next to my radio 24/7 - maybe 10/5 on weekdays and 16/2 on weekends (hey, I gotta sleep sometime), so the recordings give me the opportunity to go back and play something I might have missed.

Generally, I keep "chatty" (read: police, etc.) talkgroups/channels turned off once they are known but monitor/record the TAC channels. I am always searching for new stuff. Why? To help others on RR out by submitting those finds to the RRDB of course.

Sporrt

I'm reading there are a lot of folks that record the scanner audio and I'm puzzled why people do this? Obviously to listen to later, but why??? for me the excitement is that its now and real time. Is this to listen to in times of no traffic just for entertainment? Please explain.

I have to agree with your sentiment, I have no interest in radio transmissions that are not real time.
What's done, is done. I don't feel that I missed anything.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

For some of us, the most interesting thing is to identify unknown stations. for doing that, as much radio traffic as possible is helpful whether real time or not. Most of the time, some find just listening to known frequencies rather boring.

troymail

Silent Key
For some of us, the most interesting thing is to identify unknown stations. for doing that, as much radio traffic as possible is helpful whether real time or not. Most of the time, some find just listening to known frequencies rather boring.

+1 --

there's lots more to the hobby than just "listening to routine stuff" -- digital = data (not just voice) and there are lots of tools and toys to play with....

If you're only listening to what is in the database, you're only enjoying part of the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.