Will radiant barrier paint inside attic effect antenna performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpgerma

Hello everyone,

I dont' own a scanner, but I've been lurking the forums and have thought about buying one. I thought I would put an antenna inside my attic because I'm not sure the homeowners association allows external antennas. Anyway, I have radiant barrier paint inside my attic and not sure if this would block out the reception to the antenna. Does anyone know? Here is the paint I have. http://www.blocktheheat.com/radiant.htm

af5rn

Yes, it will affect your reception. Any mass between you and the signal will attenuate that signal. But metallic mass does so much more efficiently. Even metallic based window tinting in your car attenuates your cellphone signal, so you can be sure that a layer of metallic paint covering nearly two inches of wood and shingles is going to cut into your signal reception. Whether it does so enough for you to notice depends on a lot of factors, including what bands you are listening to and at what distance you are monitoring them from. You might not even notice the difference in a local system. But yes, it will attenuate your signal. The only question is, how badly?

Status
Not open for further replies.