Win96 "forgets" Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
I've used a licensed copy of Win96 with my Pro96 for more years than I care to recall. Just installed it on my new computer. When I enter my key, the program validates it and tells me it has been stored. When I close the program, it forgets the key. Must enter key again next time I open the program. I've encountered the same problem before, and I know the solution is obvious. I've simply forgotten. Somebody jog my failing memory, please.

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Tried that. Win 96 still reverts to trial version. Moved Win500 to same new computer at the same time. No problems with Win500.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --mn-@v@-mn-- you.
Premium Subscriber
I've used a licensed copy of Win96 with my Pro96 for more years than I care to recall. Just installed it on my new computer. When I enter my key, the program validates it and tells me it has been stored. When I close the program, it forgets the key. Must enter key again next time I open the program. I've encountered the same problem before, and I know the solution is obvious. I've simply forgotten. Somebody jog my failing memory, please.

richard4537312
You are doing the right thing if you are hitting save before closing WIN96. I've been using it on my PCs for over 25 years and have yet to have your problem (knocks on wooden desk :)). I know Don West, the creater of WIN96 is/was a member of RadioReference and may chime in to answer this question.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried the 'run as administrator' option to see if that works? It could be trying to save the info to a location on the pc that needs admistrator rights. Windows is much tighter on folder access than it used to be. I could be completely wrong but it's worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.