PSREdit: Windows 10 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks ~ I opened up my psredit 500 program this morning after getting the windows 10 and a popup said unable to read direct access FTDI and that I need the latest usb driver from GRE.

Is this accurate? I don't see the website on the help menu but it does show whistler group, and I don't see anything there for software. Nor could I find it on the GRE site I went to.

Does anyone know about this or where I get the download?

Thank you.

RonnieUSA

Here is the link for the newest driver.

Virtual COM Port Drivers

FTDI CDM Drivers 2.12.06 - Revision Comments

FTDI’s CDM drivers provide both D2XX and VCP functionality through a single driver package on PCs running the following Windows operating systems:
Windows 10
Windows 10 x64
Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 x64
Windows Server 2012
Windows 8
Windows 8 x64
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows 7
Windows 7 x64
Windows Server 2008
Windows Server 2008 x64
Windows Vista
Windows Vista x64
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 x64
Windows XP
Windows XP x64

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I think I got the right download but I must be doing something else wrong because it's still showing the "unable to read direct access" popup before the program opens.

I'm not even sure I know what that's suppose to mean. It appears that the program is still functioning properly.

mikey60

PSREdit500 attempts to use direct access to the FTDI cable through the library contained in the driver files installed from the link above. You can disable that feature and use the COM port mode if you like.

That setting is in the Serial Port Settings screen under the Configuration menu.

Mike

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
PSREdit500 attempts to use direct access to the FTDI cable through the library contained in the driver files installed from the link above. You can disable that feature and use the COM port mode if you like.

That setting is in the Serial Port Settings screen under the Configuration menu.

Mike

Ok Mike, thank you.

So that isn't something that generally affects the operation of software, but is used for the upload/download to/from scanner portion?

Or did I not understand any of that? ;)

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I see the options in the config menu, and I use the mini plug/front port style usb cable. Should I assume that is the direct option?

mikey60

If you're using the GRE/Whistler/Radio Shack USB cable, then it should be able to access the cable directly as long as the correct drivers are installed for it. The option to use a COM port was added for just such an instance where the direct access to the cable isn't working, but it appears with a COM port.

Mike

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
So the popup is going to come on every time I open the program now either way?

I downloaded the proper driver, or so I thought. I must've done something else wrong.

mikey60

It's still appearing even when the configuration was set to use the COM port? I have a Windows 10 machine at work I can test on and see if I can reproduce it.

Mike

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
It's still appearing even when the configuration was set to use the COM port? I have a Windows 10 machine at work I can test on and see if I can reproduce it.

Mike

I tried to click the direct option in the configuration menu but it kept reverting to the other

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
I've never had this popup before so I'm assuming it has something to do with windows 10.

Unfortunately I don't have the unit at home (it's a work mobile) to plug it in and see what happens but I'll try that tomorrow after work.

mikey60

I finally got a few minutes to test this on the one Windows 10 machine I have available to me for the moment. I plugged in the cable and started PSREdit500, and then downloaded the configuration from my PRO-651 without any issues in Direct mode.

Try this:

Download the drivers from the FTDI web site at this url:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM v2.12.06 WHQL Certified.exe

Save the file to your computer, then right click on it and select the Run as Administrator option. You may have to enter the administrator password at that point. Make sure the cable is not plugged in while running the installer.

When the install completes, plug in the cable, let the system load the drivers, and then try it again.

Mike

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ok Mike, thank you.

Not sure if you saw the post I just put up but I'll have to try it after work tomorrow when I bring it home.

I'll post tomorrow evening. I appreciate the replies.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hey Mike, looks like good news.

Using the link for the driver you replied with worked. It appears everything is working properly at this point. I was able to upload and download to/from scanner with no issues. I'll know tomorrow for sure at work if everything still scans/receives correctly.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.