Windows 8.1 with scanner software

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I am running all of my scanner software, including Sentinel for x36HPs, ARC-536, ARC-XT PRO for my 396XT/996XT, SDRSharp, etc. I have a couple of Windows 7 machines and have no problems with any of the software. Am thinking of getting a new machine for office and looking at Dells with Windows 8.1. Kind of want to get used to the new Windows OS, but am I asking for trouble with scanner/radio software? If anyone has any thoughts/experience with this, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks
Steve AA6IO

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I can say that to date I have had no problems with Windows 8.1 and scanning or SDR software on either of two PC's. This includes but is not limited to Uniden Sentinel, ProScan, SDRConsole, SDRSharp, Spectravue, and FreeScan.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everybody. Yes, also forgot to mention DSD+, Unitrunker, etc. Sounds like 8.1 is fine with all this software. Now will not hesitate to add an 8.1 machine to the office.
Regards to all
Steve AA6IO

VE6BRW

have a new 8.1 windows and it will not recognize the ICOM PCR2500 at all, you can hear it when you plug in the USB but will not recognizes it so can't load the program from start let alone update it. Have emailed ICOM and they said just load the original program and go from there... guess they don't speak English because that what I told them "it won't load or recognizes it. sent me another program to have the windows 8.1 recognize USB ports but it won't load either. also cant recognise GPS or iPhone. extremely frustrating because I use the ICOM & Laptop for all scanning/programing/searching etc.

KJ6ZNS

The only problem that I have had has to do with offshore "Prolific" USB programming cables/adapters. Windows 8/8.1 will identify the cable adapter as a genuine Prolific adapter when in fact the adapter is not genuine and the Windows USB driver will not work.

If you run into this problem uninstall the drivers/hardware in Device Manager and restart the computer.

Install the offshore driver and then plug in the adapter/cable. Windows will then update the driver (now it won't work).

Do the following for each USB port that you plug the adapter into:

Open your Device Manager and check the COM ports, the COM port will show a yellow triangle.
Right click the COM port and select 'properties'.
Select the Driver tab at the top.
Select Update Driver.
Select 'Browse my computer for driver software'.
Select 'Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer'.
Select your original driver (probably the lower numbered one at the top) and click next. The triangle on the COM port should disappear and your adapter should work.

Tim

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for further information. I also have an ICOM PCR2500 but don't use much. Will remember to keep in Windows 7. Tim, thanks for details on USB drivers/cables. I sent you a PM. I grew up in Chula Vista.
Thanks everyone.

Steve AA6IO

Hit_Factor

Windows 8.1 works well with most all software I have used.

When it comes to compatibility with USB ports it's more dependant on the chipset the USB port uses. Research that aspect. The good thing about this is a USB card is not much $ and you can swap them out of your computer (desktop) as needed.

If you are buying a laptop, you should try it out before buying unless the store has a liberal return policy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The only problem I had to fix when migrating to Windows 8.x was with the USB-1 programming cable. That cable, which I had for a number of years, had the HXA chipset which didn't "agree" with Windows 8.x.

I got a Plugable USB to Serial Port adapter from Amazon which has the HXD chipset and used the original programming cables for my 396/996 series scanners.

A recent post by Upman says USB-1 programming cables that Uniden started distributing about a year ago have the HXD chipset.

Prolific has a utility called "CheckChipVersion_v1006" that can be downloaded to determine whether the chipset is HXA or HXD.

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
FTDI FT232R chip cable

I am using windows 8.1 and have connected the USB programming cable with the FT232R chip in it to program my BCD396T .The program will not detect my scanner. Any solution would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.