Windows 8 / 8.1 USB programming problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

John072343

Premium Subscriber
Try this

As you prepare to load your scanner, click on Send to Scanner, than, when you get a rejection, click on the COM Port, (to the left of Start Upload button. When the COM Port Setting appears, click on the Start Auto button.

custompunk

Premium Subscriber
Windows 8.1 and older style USB-1 Cable

My scanner is an Uniden BCD396XT. I ordered a USB-1 cable. Well turns out I didn't realize there were different cables and ended up buying the older style USB-1 Cable and had trouble getting it to connect using Freescan software on a Windows 8.1 OS.

I tried installing all versions of the drivers but none worked. (v1.5 is supposed to work with windows 8) v1.5, v1.6, v1.8, and v1.10.

What finally worked for me.
-Control panel,
-Device Manager,
-Right clicking the Prolific cable with the yellow exclamation point and choosing update driver.
-Choose browse my computer (bottom option)
-Choose let me pick from a list. (bottom option.)
Since I installed all the versions available I choose the driver from 10/7/2011 which has the number 3.4.25.218 associated with it.
-Restarted the PC and started Freescan. Did auto detect and it connected!

Good luck, I hope this helps.

radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the hints. Once I got the new USB-1 from scanner master and updated cables for my 250/296 and 780/796, which were available on Ebay, programming works fine with my Windows 8.1.

I am still trying several different programs on a trial basis before I purchase any more full versions.

ceejay

Programming Cable

I have just received a 996P2 and a 325P2 and am having difficulties trying to program them on a Windows 8.1 computer. I've read everything I can find on this site and am wondering if I have the correct USB cable. How do I identify a USB-1 cable?. The cables that came with my scanners show a USB 2 mark and are identical with the cables that came with my 436HP and 536HP. I have no problems with the 436 and 536. Do I need a different cable? I will sincerely appreciate any help I can get. I'm trying to use Freescan. I'm considering using Butel, but I think I will have the same problem.

Chuck

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have just received a 996P2 and a 325P2 and am having difficulties trying to program them on a Windows 8.1 computer. I've read everything I can find on this site and am wondering if I have the correct USB cable. How do I identify a USB-1 cable?. The cables that came with my scanners show a USB 2 mark and are identical with the cables that came with my 436HP and 536HP. I have no problems with the 436 and 536. Do I need a different cable? I will sincerely appreciate any help I can get. I'm trying to use Freescan. I'm considering using Butel, but I think I will have the same problem.

Chuck

All you need for either of those is a straight, normal USB cable. Not a USB-1 with a serial converter.

Make sure you load the drivers.

ceejay

Thanks for the response. I have read so many posts on this that I'm confused as to the proper drivers to load. Can you help me out with that?

Chuck

My scanner is an Uniden BCD396XT. I ordered a USB-1 cable. Well turns out I didn't realize there were different cables and ended up buying the older style USB-1 Cable and had trouble getting it to connect using Freescan software on a Windows 8.1 OS.

I tried installing all versions of the drivers but none worked. (v1.5 is supposed to work with windows 8) v1.5, v1.6, v1.8, and v1.10.

-Control panel,
-Device Manager,
-Right clicking the Prolific cable with the yellow exclamation point and choosing update driver.
Since I installed all the versions available I choose the driver from 10/7/2011 which has the number 3.4.25.218 associated with it.

I have a USB-1 cable with a counterfeit Prolific chip. Fine with W7, but I believe yours is the procedure I needed for W8.1 - one thing I would add is watch your W8.1 updates. Windows has one for the Prolific chip and you don't want it. I have this update hidden, so I don't have to worry about the older (working) driver being replaced.

ceejay

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not using the USB-1 cable. I'm using the USB 2.0 cable that came with the scanner I just got home and I'm getting ready to try the instructions provided in another post.

Chuck.

ceejay

I'm up and scanning. I followed the instructions you provided but I did have a problem. After I downloaded the drivers into a work file and hooked up the scanner, I couldn't find it in the device manager. I found my x36 listed and thought there might some conflict since they use the same drivers. I checked the status of the x36 and it said there was no driver loaded. I loaded the drivers from the work file. Then I downloaded Freescan again and everything worked and I loaded a test file into the 996 and the 325. The only thing that's strange is that the scanners do not show un in the hidden Icons to close before disconnecting. I always close the software and turn the scanner off before disconnecting so that shouldn't be a problem. Thank again for help.

Chuck

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Something "happened" with Windows 8. Cables that used to work with Windows 7 no longer work.

The easiest solution is to order a USB-1 cable, being sure it has the HXD chipset. They can be obtained from Uniden, Scannermaster or Bearcatwarehouse. I'd call Scannermaster/Bearcatewarehouse to confirm that they will send you the correct cable with the HXD chipset, if you choose that option. Uniden sells the latest ones.

You'll need to download the drivers for the cable before you first plug it in. If you do not, then you'll have some additional work.

Uniden | A World Without Wires

Uniden USB-1 Programming Scanner Cable

Uniden USB-1 Programming Cable (BC246/396/330/230/95/996/15/XT)

Search Results For: USB-1

FF705

-Control panel,
-Device Manager,

Thanks, this worked!!!!

I usually can be persistent enough to resolve driver issues, but this one had whooped me, so I went to my old Win 7 desktop to reprogram my scanner.

Legoboy3998

I just bought a new Uniden BCD325P2 scanner from Scanner Master and am having what sounds like the exact same issues with the supplied USB cable. I have a Win 8/8.1 laptop with only USB ports, using the USB cable that came with the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner and FreeScan software. When trying to connect the scanner or upload systems to the scanner I get an error that says no COM ports found. looking at the drivers on my computer, when I turn the scanner on while the USB cord is connected, the BCD996P2 Serial Port driver pops up in the list, but does not install. I really do not want to have to spend money and buy a new cable or software to solve this issue considering I just spent $450 for a brand new scanner with accessories.

Thank you for any help.

Sal

phask

Premium Subscriber
325 is just a plane jane USB cable. ANY mini usb will work.

You have a driver issue - there are plenty of posts on here about it. Need to see what is showing in Device driver, then (probably) uninstall it and install the correct one.

Correct driver is here BCD996P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Same as 996 , about half wy down the page.

I just bought a new Uniden BCD325P2 scanner from Scanner Master and am having what sounds like the exact same issues with the supplied USB cable. I have a Win 8/8.1 laptop with only USB ports, using the USB cable that came with the Uniden BCD325P2 scanner and FreeScan software. When trying to connect the scanner or upload systems to the scanner I get an error that says no COM ports found. looking at the drivers on my computer, when I turn the scanner on while the USB cord is connected, the BCD996P2 Serial Port driver pops up in the list, but does not install. I really do not want to have to spend money and buy a new cable or software to solve this issue considering I just spent $450 for a brand new scanner with accessories.

Thank you for any help.

Sal

Legoboy3998

Thank you for the response, that solved the issue! Than I needed to download the newst version of FreeSCAN, but now it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks again,
Sal

325 is just a plane jane USB cable. ANY mini usb will work.

You have a driver issue - there are plenty of posts on here about it. Need to see what is showing in Device driver, then (probably) uninstall it and install the correct one.

Correct driver is here BCD996P2 < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Same as 996 , about half wy down the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.