Winter is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nap

Hello winter:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/a...cted-as-major-snow-storm-hits-east-coast?bn=1

Just checked the amateur bands and I was unimpressed to find some people there continuously yapping "CQ Contest" instead of leaving the frequencies open and listening for whatever communications may came out of the areas affected by the power outages. Sounds like cousin Bubba moved from modded CB radio to the amateur bands. 1000W!!! Yehaaa!!

Maybe I should compile a list of their callsigns and post it here. "Inglorious QSLs". lol.

P.S. Just found out what's going on: The 2011 CQ WW DX Contest SSB: October 29–30. Of course, it doesn't matter that we're also members of ARES/Skywarn/Canwarn, those emergency calls be damned, all we need is a contest diploma! Yehaaa! Crank up the Watts! Screw the guys in the power outage areas that try to get out on the waves on batteries!

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I somehow doubt that amateur radio is involved in any relief efforts in the areas affected by the storms.

If it was, I'm sure it would be local communications on local repeaters and most of it would be the usual "weather at my qth is overcast with snow, how about you?"

Nap

I somehow doubt that amateur radio is involved in any relief efforts in the areas affected by the storms.

Maybe not (at least not like in "ARES was called to provide emergency communications").

But when you have state of emergency declared in 13 counties and 2 million people without electrical power, maybe you could have the decency to stop your 1 KiloWatt "contest" transmissions and just listen, and give a chance to the poor guy in a remote area with 5 Watts from batteries to have his distress signal heard?

Wasn't this what "amateur radio" was supposed to be?

reedeb

Do you feel better now after that little rant? I hope so, your blood pressure is lower now.

But ya know I've heard you Canadians chatting away like nothing is going on while the tornadoes ripped apart Birmingham, I heard em chatting away while Katrina was have it's way with New Orleans.SO before YOU carry on so, think about how the other side works [basically open mouth insert foot]

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
But when you have state of emergency declared in 13 counties and 2 million people without electrical power, maybe you could have the decency to stop your 1 KiloWatt "contest" transmissions and just listen, and give a chance to the poor guy in a remote area with 5 Watts from batteries to have his distress signal heard?

Perhaps a long time ago but these days amateur radio takes a backseat during most emergencies.

I'm sure the lone amateur radio operator in distress in his little shack operating on battery power has other means of calling for assistance other then relying on the hf bands.

I can't imagine stopping a worldwide contest just in case there's one poor guy out there in distress.

There's always the local 2m/70cm bands which are home to a number of repeaters with emergency power and simplex.

Nap

Perhaps a long time ago but these days amateur radio takes a backseat during most emergencies.

Well Mike I'm just trying to figure out what would be next.... Maybe they could also rent the HAARP during contests... Maybe through some remote control via internet so you could do it from your armchair... no need to travel up there in the cold... I'm sure there will be takers...

As for the repeaters, I believe that while most of them have batteries good for some 6 hours or so, few have a working generator that could extend that period....

N5TWB

Well Mike I'm just trying to figure out what would be next.... Maybe they could also rent the HAARP during contests... Maybe through some remote control via internet so you could do it from your armchair... no need to travel up there in the cold... I'm sure there will be takers...

As for the repeaters, I believe that while most of them have batteries good for some 6 hours or so, few have a working generator that could extend that period....

Just can't extract that foot from your mouth, eh? (Translated to Canuckistanian...)

Since you appear to enjoy You Tube links, here's one to warm the cockles of your Canadian soul with a commentary from a Canadian journlaist about how Americans go about handling various disasters without regard to what the world or our neighbors to the north think or do: Gordon Sinclair The Americans - YouTube

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to figure out how a signal from Texas can "modulate" a light bulb in Canada...

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Maybe not (at least not like in "ARES was called to provide emergency communications").

Did you hear any stations in distress? Didn't think so.

People keep frequencies clear as a courtesy. No one had announced any frequencies to keep clear. Hams are not going to keep the whole spectrum clear.

Operators can break into a QSO if they have an emergency. That's the way it works. It's just like having a net control operator asking a ragchewer or a contester if they can have the frequency for a regularly scheduled net they always meet on when the net is coming up in 5 minutes. Nobody has an exclusive right to any frequency.

Just because a state of emergency has been declared in some states (which is highly subjective to begin with), it does not equate to the president invoking the War Powers Act.

I'm sure the lone amateur radio operator in distress in his little shack operating on battery power has other means of calling for assistance other then relying on the hf bands.

I can't imagine stopping a worldwide contest just in case there's one poor guy out there in distress.

There's always the local 2m/70cm bands which are home to a number of repeaters with emergency power and simplex.

Yep!

Nap

Did you hear any stations in distress? Didn't think so.

People keep frequencies clear as a courtesy. No one had announced any frequencies to keep clear. Hams are not going to keep the whole spectrum clear.

Operators can break into a QSO if they have an emergency.

Of course you can't hear anything but the "contesters" running at full legal power or more. And you can't "break into" a cacophony of guys trying to overpower each other.

Incidentally at that time both Thailand (flood) and Turkey (earthquake) had asked that we keep minimal activities on 7 MHz as they used it for govt communication for disaster relief activities. The info was clearly displayed on ITU website and if I remember correctly ARRL was posting that info too.

Those "contesters" were definitely not sparing 7 MHz at all, that's exactly the band I was checking at the time.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Of course you can't hear anything but the "contesters" running at full legal power or more. And you can't "break into" a cacophony of guys trying to overpower each other.

Incidentally at that time both Thailand (flood) and Turkey (earthquake) had asked that we keep minimal activities on 7 MHz as they used it for govt communication for disaster relief activities. The info was clearly displayed on ITU website and if I remember correctly ARRL was posting that info too.

Those "contesters" were definitely not sparing 7 MHz at all, that's exactly the band I was checking at the time.

No, you were referring to the northeast winter storm. Regardless, the frequencies for Thailand requested to be kept clear was only 7.060-7.063: Thai Amateurs Respond to Floods, Ask that 7.060-7.063 MHz Be Kept Clear -- definitely not the entire 7 MHz band.

Nap

No, you were referring to the northeast winter storm. Regardless, the frequencies for Thailand requested to be kept clear was only 7.060-7.063: Thai Amateurs Respond to Floods, Ask that 7.060-7.063 MHz Be Kept Clear -- definitely not the entire 7 MHz band.

Yes, I was trying to hear something from Pennsylvania, as I don't understand neither Thai nor Turkish.

I suggest that next time there's such contest you try to listen and hear yourself what's going on. I'd describe it like a bunch of Bubbas trying to overpower each other with some military surplus amplifiers. Pretty much like CB radio channel 6.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I was trying to hear something from Pennsylvania, as I don't understand neither Thai nor Turkish.

I suggest that next time there's such contest you try to listen and hear yourself what's going on. I'd describe it like a bunch of Bubbas trying to overpower each other with some military surplus amplifiers. Pretty much like CB radio channel 6.

I have contested. Why are you singling out one aspect of the hobby and knocking it? Your prolific posting shows that you talk a lot but don't have anything to back it up with. Maybe you should spend more time reading the forums instead of posting dumb statements like above, you might learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.