Winter Sotrm Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KF4ZTO

I would be interested to know what frequencies the contractors are using for 64 and 95 around the Richmond metro area. We got hit pretty good over the weekend, and they are predicting another one this weekend. Many of the neighborhood streets haven't been plowed, just sanded, or haven't been touched.

During the storm, however, RPD's talkgroups were nothing but chatter, and DPU channels 1 and 5 (TG 35600 and 35888 on the city's TRS) were very active with snow removal communications. 35888 is still very active right now with communications regarding sanding roads.

GRTC channel 1 (452.850) was also extremely active, and their administrative channel (453.375) was as well. The city's REACT GMRS repeater 462.675 showed some activity as well.

STARS was hopping for a while, but I only heard a few VDOT lowband comms, namely 47.120 114.8PL, and data bursts on 47.300 123.0PL.

If this weekend's system is larger then last weekends, I'm sure the city will have an even harder time dealing with it, as it seems like they only have a few snowplows.

KF4ZTO

I did a few FCC DB searches for Infrastructure Corporation of America, in both VA and TN, where the company is headquartered. Nothing's come up. If I remember correctly, I've seen UHF and lowband antennas on their trucks. Anybody have any idea what freqs and/or systems these guys are using? The lowband antennas were of the long(er) type, longer then the ones VDOT has on their trucks, around the same length as C.W. Wright's construction trucks, who are licensed for 30.580 MHz. So I would think its in the lower part of lowband...I could be wrong. Who knows, maybe they're using CB to talk to truckers and VDOT?

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Man it never ends for you guys!
It looks like 25-35 inches is going to fall!
All I can say is thank you El Nino! for steering storms like these away from southern Ontario

KF4ZTO

Waking up this morning looks like 3 or 4 inches have actually stuck here in Richmond, it rained all last night and turned most of the snow already on the ground into a slushy mess. Very windy though.

Radio very busy, Richmond City TRS:

TG37232 - unknown, talking about snow removal, possibly related to VCU?
Basically all the DPU talkgroups are nonstop active, along with Virginia Power's UHF repeater.

According to RFD Channel 1, the city may be starting to close the bridges, and Riverside Drive is being closed off.

Not too much on VDOT lowband save for repeaterized comms on 47.120 PL114.8 (VDOT channel 43), but VSP is very busy (as expected) on STARS (Richmond Tac 1 is hopping) and the legacy system. I would imagine the reason I'm not hearing more VDOT is I'm currently inside my house with a rubber duck antenna.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out for the Richmond area once its all over, considering were probably getting the *nicer* part of this storm.

Last edited:

W4UVV

Read "Transfield Snow Removal" Thread

I would be interested to know what frequencies the contractors are using for 64 and 95 around the Richmond metro area. We got hit pretty good over the weekend, and they are predicting another one this weekend. Many of the neighborhood streets haven't been plowed, just sanded, or haven't been touched.

During the storm, however, RPD's talkgroups were nothing but chatter, and DPU channels 1 and 5 (TG 35600 and 35888 on the city's TRS) were very active with snow removal communications. 35888 is still very active right now with communications regarding sanding roads.

GRTC channel 1 (452.850) was also extremely active, and their administrative channel (453.375) was as well. The city's REACT GMRS repeater 462.675 showed some activity as well.

STARS was hopping for a while, but I only heard a few VDOT lowband comms, namely 47.120 114.8PL, and data bursts on 47.300 123.0PL.

If this weekend's system is larger then last weekends, I'm sure the city will have an even harder time dealing with it, as it seems like they only have a few snowplows.

Read Richard Rowland's and my posts on this subject in the "Transfield Snow Removal" thread. ICA in the Tidewater area is a user on a Gately LTR system but I don't which one as that is out of my monitoring
area. Since ICA is responsible for part of I64 I suspect it is a Gately peninsula LTR system.

HankFrank

It's not over yet

10-20 more inches expected Tuesday night and Wednesday... This had been a pretty hard winter, all things considered.

Alexandria is handling the snow removal as well as they can. From what I can tell they called in every available street dept. and parks worker they have to drive plows. They are working in two 12-hour shifts, and have even rented a block of rooms at the Hilton down the street from city hall for the workers to sleep, so they don't risk going home and becoming snowbound.

When the first shift is over the drivers head over to the Hilton to pick up their replacement to go back to headquarters for food. After they eat or pick up box lunches, the fresh driver drops off the other one back at the hotel.

I think they have decided that they have most of the roads passable now, so some of the B shift workers are being sent home tonight to rest, undoubtedly to be called right back in tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday.

bobmintern

STARS has really come to life again this morning, espically in the Hampton Roads area. I-64 is a mess, VSP and the localities are running up and down east and west bound almost constantly. Stay off the roads, be safe!

HankFrank

The Fairfax VSP frequencies are pretty quiet. Most of the troopers are staying in place and not driving around. They've been told not to go north of 193 on the beltway unless they get a specific call, as the beltway on the other side of the river has become impassable and they can't turn around.

Apparently there are still idiots in SUVs on 66 and 495 trying to zip around at 55+ mph in zero visibility. To quote one officer "Someone's about to get killed out here."

SCPD

QRT
fmon, just to let you know Bob is still around.. the storm is really bad in this area, all non essential tfc is banned from baltimore city.. only emergency vehicles, never in my time that ever happened. we are in the `10-30" belt for the day. take care Bo0b

SCPD

QRT
fmon, just to let you know Bob is still around.. the storm is really bad in this area, all non essential tfc is banned from baltimore city.. only emergency vehicles, never in my time that ever happened. we are in the `10-30" belt for the day. take care Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.