Wireless Speakers for Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

Hi, all. There's GOT to be an easy (and fairly inexpensive) way to do this, I think.

I'd like to put a wireless speaker from my scanner in the bedroom, to the den. I checked a couple of local places, and all they had were high end stereo or surround sound systems, and I really don't need anything like that.

Any thoughts?

Highpockets

IndyRick said:
Hi, all. There's GOT to be an easy (and fairly inexpensive) way to do this, I think.

I'd like to put a wireless speaker from my scanner in the bedroom, to the den. I checked a couple of local places, and all they had were high end stereo or surround sound systems, and I really don't need anything like that.

Any thoughts?

I use a fm digital transmitter, I plug it into the speaker jack on the scanner, set it to 88.1, 88.3, or whatever (4 channels available) and where ever in the house or outside I have a fm radio, I tune that radio to that freq and I'm in business. I like it for yardwork, I have a very small fm radio (use rechargeable battery) attach to belt, with earplug works great. Also, my neighbor (can't afford to buy digital scanner) tunes his fm radio to freq and listens also. Only thing I don't like, cuts the volumn off in the scanner itself.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I use my Panasonic cordless phones, they have a monitor feature that works pretty good. I will put one by my speakers in my shack, and I can go to other rooms or even outside and listen to whats going on.

Or how about a FM transmitter like this one, would work if you have a radio in your Den.

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx

IndyRick

Thanks for the tips!

I appreciate the tips! I KNEW there was a cheaper way to go about this than a high def surround sound system, which is what the RS fella told me I'd have to have. LOL. I just really didn't know what to search for!

n3zra

A solution I use when I want to monitor and feed the audio elsewhere is buy a Y splitter for the headphone jack, then use a cheap computer speaker. Solves the audio cut off problem and the speaker can be turned off when needed.

I hope this helps.

NYRHKY94

I currently use the FM transmitter from Crane (see E-Man's post) to do exactly what you are looking for. At night, I hook the Crane up to my digital scanner (GRE PSR-600) downstairs and listen to it on an FM clock radio on my bedstand. The clock radio happens to be a Uniden 370CRS analog scanner (you can't have too many scanners in the house).

I just tune the FM signal on the Uniden to a silent open frequency and I'm off & running listening to crystal clear digital scanning from downstairs. This method can be used anywhere you have an FM radio in the house. From my exoperience, the Crane does an excellent job in both sound quality & distance. You can even crank up the distance on the Crane via a simple mod (turning a dial) on the inside of the unit.

Hope this helps

FM Transmitter?

Do you expierence any interference with the transmitter being so close to the receive antenna of the radio scanner?

Also I wonder how this would work for those that have Communications Receivers:
.5 to 1300 Megacycles. The Communication Receivers cover the FM Band where the
FM Transmitter would transmit.

57Bill

I purchased a pair of inexpensive cordless speakers ($50) from Heartland America. I hate the company, so I don't recommend them, but if they carried it, I'm sure you can turn something up from a search from another source. Mine are in the 900MHz range. I've seen newer products in higher ranges.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
NYRHKY94 said:
I currently use the FM transmitter from Crane (see E-Man's post) to do exactly what you are looking for. At night, I hook the Crane up to my digital scanner (GRE PSR-600) downstairs and listen to it on an FM clock radio on my bedstand. The clock radio happens to be a Uniden 370CRS analog scanner (you can't have too many scanners in the house).

I just tune the FM signal on the Uniden to a silent open frequency and I'm off & running listening to crystal clear digital scanning from downstairs. This method can be used anywhere you have an FM radio in the house. From my exoperience, the Crane does an excellent job in both sound quality & distance. You can even crank up the distance on the Crane via a simple mod (turning a dial) on the inside of the unit.

Hope this helps

I have the CCrane FM Transmitter also, and I think it works pretty good, I never used it with my scanners, just my Zune and Peltor Radio Ear Muffs when I am doing yard work, the range is @ 60 + feet, didnt know about the Mod, thanks now Im going to open mine up.

When I ordered mine from CCrane they had an open box unit and I saved a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.