Wiscom

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtmatt

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,

I just purchased a unication g5 and i'm currently getting it set on WISCOM, does anyone out there happen to know what talkgroups the NWS opperates off of. If i had to guess I think its RTAC11 but not sure.

Thanks and 73
KC9MLE

rusty_shackleford1

Premium Subscriber
You are correct, the NWS will use the regional calling channels (RCALL11SW, RCALL21SE) to call county dispatch centers for reports and to provide updates on warnings and storms. I know I've heard both the La Crosse and Sullivan offices doing this, but I don't know if the others covering Wisconsin are doing it as well.

I've seen the following radio IDs for them; 990120 for La Crosse on RCALL11SW, and 9901100 and 9911100 for Sullivan on RCALL21SE and RCALL11SW respectively.

Div106

Premium Subscriber
NWS always uses Rcall31EC to push out weather notifications. As of the end of last year, the NWS office in Sullivan only had 1 WISCOM radio at there office for the 3 different TGs. This current year they hope to get another WISCOM weather at there office. This year they were looking to add Rcall51wc and Rcall61nw in pushing out weather notifications.

sfd119

It'll be interesting to see if RCALL61 will get use from Duluth and Minneapolis NWS offices. I know they're trying to get away from using NAWAS.

You are correct, the NWS will use the regional calling channels (RCALL11SW, RCALL21SE) to call county dispatch centers for reports and to provide updates on warnings and storms. I know I've heard both the La Crosse and Sullivan offices doing this, but I don't know if the others covering Wisconsin are doing it as well.

I've seen the following radio IDs for them; 990120 for La Crosse on RCALL11SW, and 9901100 and 9911100 for Sullivan on RCALL21SE and RCALL11SW respectively.

Is that actually LaCrosse's ID? Seems to be a digit short.

CrabbyMilton

Yesterday here in Milwaukee, I heard the NWS in communication with some agency on TG 21.

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
I just heard a weather alert on RCALL31 (Chilton Tower) and the user was using the radio ID 9901100. Any idea who this is? NWS?

That was the NWS Sullivan office. This is the second or third year that they have been broadcasting updates on RCALL21 for the SE Region. Occasionally other dispatch centers and field units will relay severe weather reports to NWS here. Today, the NWS communicator advised she was switching over to RCALL31 to make an announcement. This arrangement was spearheaded by a local dispatch center director who is also a storm spotter. It is a great asset to us public safety folks in the field!

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
That was the NWS Sullivan office. This is the second or third year that they have been broadcasting updates on RCALL21 for the SE Region. Occasionally other dispatch centers and field units will relay severe weather reports to NWS here. Today, the NWS communicator advised she was switching over to RCALL31 to make an announcement. This arrangement was spearheaded by a local dispatch center director who is also a storm spotter. It is a great asset to us public safety folks in the field!
It was a female. What I heard must have been when she switched over.

Status
Not open for further replies.