With Supplies drained, do you think Whistler is discontinuing models?

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Good Morning, as I browse online scanner shops, for whistler products I see sold out all across the board, amazon gets a few now and again, but the only shop I see that is not sold out is Zip Scanner, but the rest are Amazon, amazon is nearly sold out, then scanner masters, sold out, seems either whistler wants out of the scanner market so there allowing supply and demands to be where it is or its a shipping or manufacture problem for whistler. Also just for the discussion Whistler's own website is sold out too.

or is it a combination that's causing this sold-out effect? or is Whistler the weaker product and cheaper product people go first because of the cost? so for example uniden is more popular and can't keep up with whistler? or is it Whistler is for the poor man or woman who can't afford a uniden so it's based on price? or is it something else? oh before anyone argues uniden vs Whistler prices, they're pretty much on par in price, so the bottom line is what do you think Whistler is doing? planning to retire from the scanner business? seems something is coming down the pipe and I think they think it's not a profitable adventure anymore.

a417

Good Morning, as I browse online scanner shops, for whistler products I see sold out all across the board, amazon gets a few now and again, but the only shop I see that is not sold out is Zip Scanner, but the rest are Amazon, amazon is nearly sold out, then scanner masters, sold out, seems either whistler wants out of the scanner market so there allowing supply and demands to be where it is or its a shipping or manufacture problem for whistler. Also just for the discussion Whistler's own website is sold out too.
Holy commas, Batperson! I don't know of too many manufacturers who disclose where their holdups are, if there are holdups in their supply chain...especially for something with a fractional market share. If they were someone big (think massive car manufacturer or uhm...Apple) and they were taking shots from all sides in the media, they might decide to redirect some of the incoming flak...but we're talking about scanners...here...on RR.

or is it a combination that's causing this sold-out effect? or is Whistler the weaker product and cheaper product people go first because of the cost? so for example uniden is more popular and can't keep up with whistler? or is it Whistler is for the poor man or woman who can't afford a uniden so it's based on price? or is it something else? oh before anyone argues uniden vs Whistler prices, they're pretty much on par in price, so the bottom line is what do you think Whistler is doing? planning to retire from the scanner business? seems something is coming down the pipe and I think they think it's not a profitable adventure anymore.
Uniden is the biggest dog in the park. Unless whistler comes out with something that can steal the thunder, it's a race for second place - whomever is going against Uniden.

You also would be wise to remember...scanners don't make these companies nearly as much money as people here think they do.

Last edited:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
You also would be wise to remember...scanners don't make these companies nearly as much money as people here think they do.
I always wonder what actually keeps these 2 companies afloat. Uniden's website features radar detectors, scanners, CBs and marine radios. I can't imagine any of those making a mountain of cash. I haven't known anyone who had a radar detector on their dashboard since the 90s...CB even farther back. Marine radios strike me as something mariners buy and use for 10+ years. Home phones? Less and less people have those now too thanks to cell phones.

Whistler offers battery pack jumpstarters and back up cams on top of what Uniden offers..it's befuddling how they stay afloat.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Uniden America is owned by Uniden Holdings (japan), and they have product lines on every corner of the globe - in electronic & automotive markets beyond what you described.

Uniden America is only a small subset of their total portfolio.
According to their website, they've expanded to Europe and Australia. The automotive link shows dash cams, backup cams and back of the headrest monitors (Japan only?) Now I'm really thinking their main source of funding are scanner/cb/marine radio purchasers on RR 🤣 unless they sell a lot of security systems down under

scannersnstuff

Hello, again just my 2 cents. I really wanted a ws-1040 for the superior spectrumsweeper sensitivity. I was also going to use it for my county trunk,but now they are going digital. After hearing that Whistler <supposeply> no longer have the part's for repair, I decided on the old faithful Uniden bc125at. I have a bcd436hp and a bcd325p2 to handle the new p25 trunk. I will now repurpose my bct15 for milair and service searches.

Akuriko

Thanks for your 2 cents, I am starting to think you may be right they don't have the parts anymore or they are slowly shutting down the scanners they rebranded from the grecom line.

the reason is a lot of these models are still not in stock on Amazon, scanner master. and Zip scanners have them in stock, but only certain models.

here is what's sold out since January or before January.

then if you go to whistlers website or zip scanner you will find a few in stock, amazon has the ws1025 in stock and the trx-1 and the ws1065

zip scanner has the ws1040 in stock, trx-1 and trx-2

I also keep an eye on pricing and in-stock and out-of-stock on Amazon as well as on whistler and Uniden.

Akuriko

as of 2/17/2024 so far none or very many on eBay new, amazon, zip scanner, scanner masters are all sold out, I am wondering if by Christmas if there are no more and parts, if that's all she wrote and it's a curtain call, only time will tell.

I also wonder if they threw in the towel to uniden, again it's just a wait-and-see game.

i am speaking of the models below the trx-1 and 2 that sold out, I was asked to find the 1010, 1040, and 1065, but most of them are sold out