would this telescopic antenna work on a BCD436HP handheld scanner in indoor base station use?

Scanner_Rider

Since getting my handheld scanner ,when at home I have mounted it on the wall on a piece of belt scrap above my desk here.

It worked fine until recently when my house was roofed with metal.

Now to get 3 bar signal strength as I did before with the 8 inch SMA rubber antenna I have to hold it at ceiling height.

I want to avoid using an outdoor antenna because I have lost two antennas to storm winds and where I am there are many lightening strikes.

I saw a 536 scanner with a telescopic antenna in an all metal shop building near me that gets 2 to 4 bars and remembered that the handheld 436 and base 536 used the same user manual.

As this replacement BNC antenna says it will work with the base station 536 scanner, would it also work on my handheld with the BNC to SMA adapter so I can extend the antenna and aim it to the reception sweet spot by the ceiling when I hang it on wall strap on the wall here at my desk ?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure it's also the same antenna on the SDS200. I have used mine on my 436. You may have to adjust the length of the antenna to find that sweet spot to achieve the best reception. Try to get it near a window that faces the direction of who you listen to. .

wtp

for reception only (scanner) there are no rules for the antenna.
anything from a paper clip to a 12 foot antenna on a mast is OK.
so like dave just said, get it and try it, it can't hurt.

jayem1

Of course it will work, but it sounds like your roof is acting as an RF shield. Your best bet is getting an antenna outside of and preferably above your metal roof. Look into a lightning arrester if that’s been a problem. If you go with the telescoping antenna, search online for a frequency to antenna length calculator to find the optimal length. Depending on the frequencies you monitor, extending it full length isn’t going to help and could make things worse if not tuned to the proper wavelength.