Would you buy a new or used/pre-owned scanner?

Would you buy a new or used/pre-owned scanner

• New

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Used/Pre-Owned

Votes: 32 64.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Just curious as to how many of you would buy a new vs. a used/pre-owned scanner.

My personal stance is new.
I always buy electronic items (regardless if it is an xbox or steam deck or other electronic device) new.
The only way I would buy used is if I know the owner of the device and the device has been cared for by the owner.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Of the plethora of scanners I have, only one was purchased used and I knew the guy. Not that it makes a difference other than he would have given me a refund of it was damaged. Wait, the first scanner I purchased was used, but I was a teenager and broke. It worked fine though.

Anyways, my concern is that the front end has been toasted with a nearby transmitter. I use these HP inline limiters to avoid problems. A much more experienced member on these forums clued me in about these limiters and I use them with my receivers/scanners/SDR with an extra few as spares. Inexpensive insurance for receivers that cost hundreds of dollars...of course I use transmitters nearby.

kny2xb

I've purchased 3 of my scanners used at pawn shops

My first trunk-tracker was a PRO-91 h-h
Then I picked up a PRO-2050 base unit
When the county went digital I lucked into a PRO-106 h-h

On a side note, 6 of my h-t's for GMRS [a mix of Part 90, Part 95 & ham switched to commercial mode] were purchased used

pb_lonny

I have purchased a lot of scanners over the past 25 years. Some new, some second hand from people I know and some off eBay. I have only had two issues in all that time.
- An Uniden UBC245XLT arrived with a damaged DC jack, this was sent back for a refund.
- An Alinco DJX10 had a faulty screen when it arrived and was also sent back for a refund.

rf_patriot200

I think it's Safer now, than it used to be because now you have fewer people chopping into scanners, trying to modify them to listen to Cell phones and extended coverage. It's not as dicey as buying used amateur radio equipment.

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
Any analog older scanners sure like the black/grey RadioShack handhelds sure. For the newer digital ones the prices are ripoffs and the people selling them delusional as well. Like the 396XT for $400, not happening. You occasionally see good prices but it’s just not worth wasting the time for me to where I’d rather just buy a new one now instead of waiting for luck. Though some of the new prices aren’t great too now either. like 550 for a 436hp. That’s a 10 year old model and really almost $700 once you buy the DMR/NXDN.

The classifieds on here seem to be the best bet for that, I saw one for a 436HP once with the most the DMR/NXDN unlock for $450 or so, I don‘t have gear acquisition syndrome but was tempted to impulse buy it.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
I'll refrain from comments that will gain the attention of the "powers that be" and make my posts vanish as some have in the past when I've made my opinions known about the state of the economy and who runs it but yeah...people (present company included) just don't have the disposable income they used to to buy new or used but a number of years ago I've landed on some pretty nice deals on new-old-stock or lightly used scanners & receivers and saved a nice penny, sometimes a hundred or two over retail. The deals are out there, you just need to search for them

marksmith

Have only had one issue buying new since scanners became available. A dead HP1 from Amazon which they replaced.

Have had various success and failure with used ebay buys. Lots of deaf old 220's and 250's from bearcat. Some good and bad HP2 buys where I could have bought new for a few more bucks. Same with the 436/536 radios.
They all would turn on, but some had screen issues rendering them semi-useful, or other problems that would be unacceptable as new.

I have moved to the NEW ONLY standard as we got into the SDS100 and SDS200 radios a few years back. Would only buy used now if I knew the seller and radio use history,

hill

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased a few on Ebay like my PRO-2945 and BC125AT used for Mil Air.

Also go an BC15 from another radio club member when he had t downsize to assisted living.

Also picked up two PRO197s and another PRO668 that our ham club is selling from a silent key.

Not really a scanner but also picked up a used Unication G5 last year at a local hamfest for a good price.

All work and have pressed into service.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
There are many stories to be told about new/used, but except for an occasional flea market(not ham) purchase I have been fortunate enough to always buy new.
However, I am very happy many buy used since I have sold many radios to some very good people and I always treat my equipment as if I will be selling it to myself!

hill

Premium Subscriber
I will most likely purchase some more used scanners, if the price is reasonable. Nice to get some stuff at a good discount from new.

I have a whole boatload of used Kenwood commercial radios and always looking for more without over spending.

Currently searching for used Uniden XT type for mil air, since I relize that BC125AT does have enough channels to load all have in BC15 and need a DMA type. My requirements are just to do mil air and doesn't have do the latest and greatest digital modes.

jmp883

I have no problem buying a used scanner. I've been in the radio hobby since 1982 and have bought many scanners, and ham radio gear, from the used market. I have also noticed that certain newer scanners have not come down in price on the used market. In the past I would always buy whatever the 'hot' radio was at the time used. I usually bought my mobile/base units used and my handhelds new due to the fact that most of the time the handhelds were somewhat cheaper. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

I want both an SDS-100 and -200 but I don't think I'll own either one anytime soon, new or used. They've been on the market long enough where the used prices should be somewhat lower than new but that doesn't seem to be the case. I don't know if it's because of the technology in the radios or because the current owners know people want them and would be willing to pay almost full retail just to get one. I can wait, sooner or later I'll either find a great deal on a used one or be able to easily afford one new.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I nearly always purchase new, but when nostalgia kicks in, it gives one no other choice than to buy used. I bought a used and in near mint condition complete in box RCA 16S400 a couple of years ago and it works great and use it nearly daily. With any luck I'll pass before analog does.