• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Wouxun KG-UV3D Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Yes you Can but

Hi, I just ordered a Wouxun KG-UV3D, That goes up to 520 Mhz, now I got the programming cable, and a high gain antenna. High Gain Dual-Band 2m/440 Handheld Reverse SMA Antenna [WXGAT-RV] - $22.99 Now since I got that, and unlock the access, does that mean I can listen to my dispatch channel on 472.XXXX, and possibly transmit on it, I WOULD NEVER DO THAT, but could I, like in a real emergency?

You should be able to listen just fine, but transmitting on there would not be a good Idea unless you have permission to do so, and that you have a license to operate on that frequency. If you Dont have any of those then you might get into some trouble.
So those are my thoughts.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

devildogusmc4

Thanks, I just mean in like a REAL emergency, like im on a back road and I wreck and it is really bad, or see a wreck, no cell service, would that be ok as Anonymous. Also, I live in a valley, with a WIDE open sky, and with my antenna that I ordered, how many miles, roughly, could I transmit to.

N8IAA

Thanks, I just mean in like a REAL emergency, like im on a back road and I wreck and it is really bad, or see a wreck, no cell service, would that be ok as Anonymous. Also, I live in a valley, with a WIDE open sky, and with my antenna that I ordered, how many miles, roughly, could I transmit to.

What part of rubber duck antenna, 1.5watts, and in a valley, that was answered in your post about transmit and receive didn't you understand:confused: Especially at 472MHz? Or, even the ham bands?
Confused,
Larry

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks, I just mean in like a REAL emergency, like im on a back road and I wreck and it is really bad, or see a wreck, no cell service, would that be ok as Anonymous.

No, that would NOT be ok.

Also, I live in a valley, with a WIDE open sky, and with my antenna that I ordered, how many miles, roughly, could I transmit to.

Straight up into that wide open sky, a long way. More earthbound, with those hills that make up that valley, you'll talk to about the ridge lines, and very little further. A UHF portable isn't going to talk very far without help.

N8IAA

This radio im getting is 5 watts on VHF, and 4 Watts UHF.

My mistake. I kept reading in the Baofeng VX3 copy:) Regardless, 4 watts into a gain duck will not get you very far. That is just the physics of radio waves. Especially the higher one goes in frequency. UHF tends to get absorbed by buildings and trees. Does reflect off of those things though. The only way you will know is when you try to access a repeater or talk to someone on simplex.
HTH,
Larry

LtDoc

If you can get authorization from 'your department' then yes, you can use that radio on that frequency after programming it. It's Part-90 certified. Nothing says you can't listen to anything except the 'cell' frequencies. I wouldn't hold my breath about that authorization though.
How about in emergencies? Not if there's a reasonable alternative. If there's no reasonable alternative then you can do so, BUT! Be ready to justify your doing so, which isn't as simple as you may think and it will definitely be a lot of trouble. Best advice is don't.
Lot's of "but's" in that, but that's what it amounts to.
- 'Doc

Squad10

Wouxun KG-UV3D with FCC ID WVTWOUXUN04 label is FCC Certified to upper frequency 470.0000.

I'd advise anybody authorized to transmit on 472.XXXX channel not use this radio.

n5ims

If you can get authorization from 'your department' then yes, you can use that radio on that frequency after programming it. It's Part-90 certified. Nothing says you can't listen to anything except the 'cell' frequencies. I wouldn't hold my breath about that authorization though.
How about in emergencies? Not if there's a reasonable alternative. If there's no reasonable alternative then you can do so, BUT! Be ready to justify your doing so, which isn't as simple as you may think and it will definitely be a lot of trouble. Best advice is don't.
Lot's of "but's" in that, but that's what it amounts to.
- 'Doc

Be sure you get the authorization in writing and by somebody that is authorized to allow folks to use their license and consume one of their authorized radio slots (the FCC license details the maximum number of radios that can be used on that license).

As far as using the radio "in a real emergency", just make sure that that "real emergency" is something that is important enough for you to not care what kind of trouble you get in for transmitting on an unauthorized frequency. While your "emergency" may qualify under the FCC rules, that may not count to the local DA that wants to crack down on somebody after one of their radios get taken (or cloned) and some drunk fool starts talking on your local agency's frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.