BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Write Profile to Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I can write my Favorites List with no problem, but I can't seem to get the Profile to write to the scanner. I'm trying add Service Types, but they don't seem to write to the scanner? I know that I can enable/disable them if they are written to the scanner, but I can't seem to get that far. Some of them have the On/Off option, but the ones that don[t I can't do anything with and I can't seem to reprogram the Profile.

Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
It writes your profile to the scanner when you upload your favorites. Any changes in your profile in sentinal should write to the scanner when you upload your favorites.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
BCD436HP Write Profile to Scanner

I can write my Favorites List with no problem, but I can't seem to get the Profile to write to the scanner. I'm trying add Service Types, but they don't seem to write to the scanner? I know that I can enable/disable them if they are written to the scanner, but I can't seem to get that far. Some of them have the On/Off option, but the ones that don[t I can't do anything with and I can't seem to reprogram the Profile.

Does anyone have any guidance?

Thanks

Be sure you save your changes after you update your profile (File>Save) before loading it into the scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Something you could try if you have a 536: Open up your profile editor and go to the Display Options tab. Set the Upside Down to On. Then save and write to your scanner.

After the writing is done, if the display is upside down, then you'll know the profile did get written. (You'll probably want to undo that change once you've confirmed that profiles are getting written to your scanner).

If you don't have a 536, then you could change something in the Opening Message area (also in the Display Options tab of Sentinel). However you have to watch pretty fast to see that when the scanner starts.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If you don't have a 536, then you could change something in the Opening Message area (also in the Display Options tab of Sentinel). However you have to watch pretty fast to see that when the scanner starts.

Well give me a PhD in DUH. It turns out that I didn't have any frequencies or Talk Groups programmed with the Service Types I was trying to enable. The scanner will only load in Service Types if there is a frequency or Talk Group associated with a type.

The good news is I also figured out why when I used Sentinel to program Favorites Lists, I got the "Nothing to Scan" message. Apparently you have to right click on each FL in Sentinel and select both Download and Monitor or Sentinel won't load them and tell the scanner to scan them.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, they pointed me in the right trouble shooting direction.

Last edited:

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
You might try saving from scanner to sentinal, reformatting the SD card, and then writing all the data back to the SD card from the computer. Its possible the SD card is corrupted.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I think I might have a possible answer.

If you don't have any channels in any of your Favorites Lists assigned to the Service Type you want to turn on/off, that might be the reason.

Here's what I just did:

I looked to see if the Ham Service Type was On or Off and I saw "---". I turned the Ham Service Type on in the Sentinel Editor and wrote that to the scanner. Still saw the "---".

I then went to a channel and changed it from Fire Dispatch to Ham and wrote that to the scanner. The Ham Service Type then showed up as being "On". I didn't make any changes to the profile (Ham still checked).

Then I went back to the channel changed it back to Fire Dispatch from Ham, wrote to the scanner. Then the Ham Service Type went back to "---". Again, no changes were made to the profile (Ham still checked).

garys

Premium Subscriber
That was what it was. I edited my reply below, but lost track of the time and just realized that there were two more good suggestions. What you wrote below is what I did, sort of. I loaded a different FL, which I knew had the Service Types I was "missing" in it.

The light bulb clicked on when I saw that the Service Types were now enabled.Then there was the other non obvious thing (to me) about right clicking on the profile to enable download and monitor. So, I learned to important tricks tonight.

I'll get this all figured out just in time for the next generation of scanner to hit the market.

I think I might have a possible answer.

If you don't have any channels in any of your Favorites Lists assigned to the Service Type you want to turn on/off, that might be the reason.

Here's what I just did:

I looked to see if the Ham Service Type was On or Off and I saw "---". I turned the Ham Service Type on in the Sentinel Editor and wrote that to the scanner. Still saw the "---".

I then went to a channel and changed it from Fire Dispatch to Ham and wrote that to the scanner. The Ham Service Type then showed up as being "On". I didn't make any changes to the profile (Ham still checked).

Then I went back to the channel changed it back to Fire Dispatch from Ham, wrote to the scanner. Then the Ham Service Type went back to "---". Again, no changes were made to the profile (Ham still checked).

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it!

There's a whole lot of stuff to learn with the new scanners and software. It can take some time and lots of patience.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it!

There's a whole lot of stuff to learn with the new scanners and software. It can take some time and lots of patience.

Thanks. It's coming along. I'm going to try to add number tags to all of the channels and departments so I can use the handy dandy new direct channel access feature.

The more I use the 436, the more I'm liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.