Wrong mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Thought this was a little funny, while listing to ARTCC Washington center I heard a pilot come over the air and say "Good afternoon everyone, We are in for a bumpy ride so everyone please remain seated and please keep your seat belts on until we arrive." First time I heard this over the air.

trace1

Hey, it happens. Just be glad it wasn't the other way around and all of the passengers heard the pilot declaring an emergency or something similar...

Deepsky

I heard a similar one the other day. I scanned in just in time to hear the pilot say "please set your trays, oops."

immelmen

Right mic, just the wrong button. ...it happens, but what happens more often is after making a PA to the pax in back you forget to push the switch back to COM 1....so your next transmission to ATC instead plays over the cabin PA......not that iv ever done that before...:(

if you ever hear the accidental PA broadcast to ATC, be sure to keep listening. if its not too busy you will hear other pilots on the freq mercilessly haze their peer for his mistake......not that I have ever done that either :D

Or the one about the pilot who finished his pre-takeoff announcement to the cabin, then while the mic was still on remarked to his right seat, "Now let's see if we can get this SOB off the ground".
I've always liked that story.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I listened to a Southwest jet on final approach to Nashville (KBNA) with a stuck mike. Heard the Captain calling everything out from drop gear/flaps to altitude countdown and all the way to rolling out on the runway as he called the decreasing speeds to start applying the brakes. Definitely a different perspective from a stuck microphone.

freqhopping

What I think is the worst is when they mistakenly transmit on guard 121.5, then everybody hears it. Heard a pilot the other day on guard, sounded like he was supposed to be on a company freq. He gave a full report which was followed by smartass comments and such from other pilots.:lol:

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
CORN said:
I listened to a Southwest jet on final approach to Nashville (KBNA) with a stuck mike. Heard the Captain calling everything out from drop gear/flaps to altitude countdown and all the way to rolling out on the runway as he called the decreasing speeds to start applying the brakes. Definitely a different perspective from a stuck microphone.
WOW, Would have loved to heard that one, better yet recorded it.

radio10-8

In the first attempt to use a phone cradle for my Motorola 550 flip phone with an interface for the airplane radios. I ran into this. Phone in cradle and turned on. Plane at the run up area and I hear ATC comms in my David Clarks, Phone rings and I hear the phone conversation in only 1 of the earpieces. Works as designed. Then I decide to talk on the phone and I was actually transmitting to ground control.
Then I hear this. "Somebody is really pushing the wrong button, check your radios guys..."
realizing it was me I flipped the phone shut, unplugged it, Had my co-pilot talk to ground because I knew they would recognize my voice. We got clearence clarence and blasted off. When I went back to theradio shop where i bought this cradle the guy tells me it has a few bugs... I did get my money back and I never saw those cradles again..

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Heh... I've done that. While operating aero mobile in my 172, I've grabbed the wrong mike once and announced over a 2 meter repeater "Los Angeles Center, XX seven niner sierra is with you level at 55." I've also called the tower and started to use my amateur callsign. Ooops.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
zz0468 said:
Heh... I've done that. While operating aero mobile in my 172, I've grabbed the wrong mike once and announced over a 2 meter repeater "Los Angeles Center, XX seven niner sierra is with you level at 55." I've also called the tower and started to use my amateur callsign. Ooops.
AHAHAHA, THATS HILARIOUS
what did the tower say when you started saying ur callsign?
lol what a mixup

btritch

Memphis/Little Rock ATC H.E.A.R.

Can anyone tell me about how far away from ATC you have to be before you can't hear them? I'm about 50-75 miles away from the Memphis Approach and about 100-150 miles away from the Little Rock AR Approach, Anyone know what freq's the Memphis and Little Rock ATC uses?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
chrismoll said:
AHAHAHA, THATS HILARIOUS
what did the tower say when you started saying ur callsign?
lol what a mixup

No kidding... how embarrassing. They didn't say a thing. I corrected myself and they let it slide.

It was the guys on the two meter repeater that were really amused.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
btritch said:
Can anyone tell me about how far away from ATC you have to be before you can't hear them? I'm about 50-75 miles away from the Memphis Approach and about 100-150 miles away from the Little Rock AR Approach, Anyone know what freq's the Memphis and Little Rock ATC uses?
For like their ground control tower at the airport?
If a planes up high like at FL35 the crusing atl for commercial airlines yuo can hear for hundreds of miles.
But i dont think you would hear the approach when your terrestrial and the tower is xmitter is terrestrial. I live about 15 miles from an international airport from me, all I can hear is the airplanes talking to approach but not approach to them. Maybe if you have a high tower setup and flat ground, and a sensative reciever you might, but still 50 miles is a LONG shot unless like I said your on a mounmation looking down at the airport or you are within line of sight with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.