WTWW

cc333

Yesterday, I caught a broadcast of WRMI Legends, and it was pretty much identical to WTWW as far as programming goes (which was the point, I'm supposing). I caught it first at 4980 kHz on one of those KiwiSDR online radios, then live on the same frequency with my DX-398 and a 23' Sangean reel antenna.

Where I'm at (SF Bay Area), reception at 4980 doesn't seem so great compared to 5085, which was noticeably better (I could pick up WTWW's signal with just the built in whip of my DX-440, despite it seeming somewhat lacking in sensitivity, whereas to hear WRMI@4980, I pretty much need the wire).

I'm guessing that the latitude has something to do with this; Lebanon, TN was practically due east of my location, whereas Okeechobee, FL is to the southeast a bit, and somewhat farther away.

Nevertheless, the fact I got it at all was pretty fun, and I even sent in a QSL report, as I'm not sure that particular frequency is aimed at the western US (I know they have a couple other frequencies that are specifically aimed here, but 4980 isn't among them, I don't think).

c

DXerPaulAK

Yesterday, I caught a broadcast of WRMI Legends, and it was pretty much identical to WTWW as far as programming goes (which was the point, I'm supposing). I caught it first at 4980 kHz on one of those KiwiSDR online radios, then live on the same frequency with my DX-398 and a 23' Sangean reel antenna.

Where I'm at (SF Bay Area), reception at 4980 doesn't seem so great compared to 5085, which was noticeably better (I could pick up WTWW's signal with just the built in whip of my DX-440, despite it seeming somewhat lacking in sensitivity, whereas to hear WRMI@4980, I pretty much need the wire).

I'm guessing that the latitude has something to do with this; Lebanon, TN was practically due east of my location, whereas Okeechobee, FL is to the southeast a bit, and somewhat farther away.

Nevertheless, the fact I got it at all was pretty fun, and I even sent in a QSL report, as I'm not sure that particular frequency is aimed at the western US (I know they have a couple other frequencies that are specifically aimed here, but 4980 isn't among them, I don't think).

c

5085 is beamed to latin america at, i think 160 deg. check out wrmi.net for their program schedule which shows the frequency, beam deg. and target area

cc333

Something's back on 5085 kHz as of 02:03 UTC. Coming in nice and solid over here near SF.

Anyone know what's going on?

c

cc333

Are there really so many devoutly religious people that there exists the need for virtually every major SW broadcaster in the US to provide mostly religious programming?

Or am I wrong?

At least WRMI Legends exists, if only I could receive it better (I wish I could hear it on 5085, because that signal in particular comes in exceptionally well over here, especially after dark).

c

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
They dont own it yet.. theres been talks of a sale, rumors floating around.. but the FCC registered licensee is leap of faith, inc which is george mclintock, ex of WWCR....

Acknowledged. But essentially they are the broadcaster of the white church which has radical views.

cc333

the white church which has radical views.
How does this stuff exist?

This doesn't seem to be quite a problem in other nations which still have an international SW broadcast station or two. They're much more interesting because they either focus on the news and culture of their home nations (Radio Cuba, for example), they offer decent world news coverage (BBC World Service) or a mixture of both (Radio New Zealand).

But the US? Aside from VOA and a smattering of program blocks on WRMI, it seems to be home to stations broadcasting mostly religious material, at least some of it radical.

Has the US deteriorated that badly?

c

spilot113

Are there really so many devoutly religious people that there exists the need for virtually every major SW broadcaster in the US to provide mostly religious programming?

No, but there is a need for a business model to keep these SW broadcasters on the air. This appears to be the most (only?) viable business plan to pay the bills for what is a very expensive operation to keep this (and other) facilities on the air.

No one has come up with another model to keep the operations funded.

cc333

Theyve been back for about 2 weeks, just before christmas... and its going to be all religion
I'm sure they lost a couple handfuls of listeners, but they don't seem to mind. What I can't understand is why do they always seem to assume that most SWL's are religious and want to hear only religious programming????

I know the few remaining SW stations still on the air desperately need the income, but... surely, there's another way?

No wonder interest in SW among the general public is dying off. Between this and the Internet (which makes everything boring by making it too easy)....

Oh, well. There's still plenty of good international stuff out there (for now, at least), if one knows where to look.

c