X36 "Nothing to Scan" Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.

trunker

X36HP "Nothing to Scan" Checklist

Scanner Checklist:
1. A location has to be set in 'Set Your Location' to monitor the Database.
You must enable at least one Favorites List or the Full Database in 'Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor'.
3. Favorites Lists or Systems with QK's assigned to them must be enabled with QK's or in '
Set Scan Selection>Manage Quick Key Status'.
4. Make sure 'ID Search' is On for the system if no IDs are programmed.
5. Service Types for the channels
you want to monitor must be set to On.
6. Any FL with 'Use Location Control' set to On must have locations programmed for the Departments and/or Sites.

If you are programming everything in Sentinel first and sending it to the scanner:

Edit Profile>Scan Selection tab: Make sure 'Monitor' and 'Download' are On for FL's you want to scan.
Check or uncheck 'Monitor Full Database'.
Edit Profile>Service Types tab: Make sure
the Service Types you want to monitor are checked.
Custom 1
is needed for miscellaneous channels.
Edit Profile>Location Settings tab: Make sure you have a location programmed for scanning the Full Database or FL's with 'Use Location Control' set to On.
Edit Profile>Quick Key Status tab: Make sure FLQK's are checked for FL's you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System QK Status tab: Make sure SQK's are checked for systems you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Options tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site Quick Keys Status tab: Make sure Department/Site QK's are checked for departments/sites you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site>Location tab: Make sure Departments/Sites have locations programmed if 'Use Location Control' is set to On for the FL.

Last edited:

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Checklist

Good information and we all have probably experienced some or all of these,

Thanks!
Doug

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Something to add, perhaps as a 6a: "Any Departments/sites in Favorites Lists associated with location control must be within range of your scanner's current location, whether or not a GPS device is attached to your scanner."

For example, your scanner's current location is set to Los Angeles because you entered the Los Angeles zip code in the scanner. All of the Departments or Sites in your Favorites Lists are set for location control and these Departments or Sites are in New York. The scanner will shut these things off because they are out of range. This occurs whether or not a GPS unit is attached.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm not sure if this is the same problem being address above but I've been stymied by the "Nothing to Scan" issue a couple of times and gotten more than a bit frustrated when it happens. The first time was within 24 hours of buying the 536. Understandable because I was still learning.

Although I am STILL learning, this hit me again over the weekend... very frustrated.

Each time, I managed to disable all SQKs in my favorites list. Eventually, I went into the favorites list and set one of the systems to have no quick key and then I'd get to scanning again and was once again able to (re)enable other systems

Typically, I have one favorites list active and routinely enable and disable systems using the SQK function (to toggle a system on/off I simply hit "." and the SQK for the system I want to toggle - for example: .2).

This ends up screwing you up when you manage to disable everything because you keep hitting .2 and the radio won't do what you want.

As it turns out, I now know (and hopefully will remember from this point forward) that the reason why the radio won't enable the SQK is because I'm telling it to enable a SQK but I haven't told it which favorites list that SQK is in.

So, I just need to remember to press the fully qualified FL.SQK combination -- like 2.2 (verses just .2).

I'm hoping that "writing it down" will help me not to forget this next time (so I can stop cussing the radio out) and also writing here may help someone else as well!

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if this is the same problem being address above but I've been stymied by the "Nothing to Scan" issue a couple of times and gotten more than a bit frustrated when it happens. The first time was within 24 hours of buying the 536. Understandable because I was still learning.

Although I am STILL learning, this hit me again over the weekend... very frustrated.

Each time, I managed to disable all SQKs in my favorites list. Eventually, I went into the favorites list and set one of the systems to have no quick key and then I'd get to scanning again and was once again able to (re)enable other systems

Typically, I have one favorites list active and routinely enable and disable systems using the SQK function (to toggle a system on/off I simply hit "." and the SQK for the system I want to toggle - for example: .2).

This ends up screwing you up when you manage to disable everything because you keep hitting .2 and the radio won't do what you want.

As it turns out, I now know (and hopefully will remember from this point forward) that the reason why the radio won't enable the SQK is because I'm telling it to enable a SQK but I haven't told it which favorites list that SQK is in.

So, I just need to remember to press the fully qualified FL.SQK combination -- like 2.2 (verses just .2).

I'm hoping that "writing it down" will help me not to forget this next time (so I can stop cussing the radio out) and also writing here may help someone else as well!

What procedure do you use to enable or disable SQK in the FL that has no QK?

troymail

Silent Key
What procedure do you use to enable or disable SQK in the FL that has no QK?

That's one where I figured what I provided won't work. And I see at least two possible scenarios:

1. Does the lack of a FL value assignment mean that FL cannot be turned off (or on)?

2. Can that FL (without a FL value assigned) be active with other FL that do have FL values assigned?

I guess my thinking is that I still think this is a bug (or let's just call it an oversight) -- the software/radio just shouldn't allow you to get into a situation where you can't re-enable things.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
That's one where I figured what I provided won't work. And I see at least two possible scenarios:

1. Does the lack of a FL value assignment mean that FL cannot be turned off (or on)?

2. Can that FL (without a FL value assigned) be active with other FL that do have FL values assigned?

I guess my thinking is that I still think this is a bug (or let's just call it an oversight) -- the software/radio just shouldn't allow you to get into a situation where you can't re-enable things.

I too have several FL and all but one have a FLQK. The one without a FLQK is always on but 99% of the time that is what I want. In the owner's manual if mentions that any FL, Site, Dept., etc without a QK will always be on, so far this seems to be true. Of course the needed "Service Types" will also have to be on for them to be monitored.

However, if I travel I have to use Sentinel to turn it off (Monitor = Off) or assign it a FLQK of 0 and turn it off that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.