• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XG-100P Audio Quality - Mods / Tweaks

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Is there any adjustment or mod to the hardware possible for analog audio? I know that any adjustment on this I believe is when hooked up to service monitor for alignment. I was curious if anyone had any tricks or thoughts?

Maybe a waterproof membrane over the mic elements to remove.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
There is mic gain, AGC and noise canceling. In my experience noise canceling can negatively affect transmit audio quality and you have to play with mic gain and or AGC to your liking. All of this should be in RPM under options then audio settings.

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Does the agc affect the analog audio as well? I see where it says for p25 audio.

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
I don’t have RPM open but I think there are AGC options for analog. If I have time I’ll see how my radios are programmed and post here.

Thanks. I know the radios are wideband enabled.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Just checked one of my radios and internal mic gain is 9dB, seems a little high and external mic is 3dB. No ALC. People seem to like the sound and I don’t operate in very noisy places. You might try that as a starting point and adjust with someone who knows your voice listening on a radio with good audio.

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Just checked one of my radios and internal mic gain is 9dB, seems a little high and external mic is 3dB. No ALC. People seem to like the sound and I don’t operate in very noisy places. You might try that as a starting point and adjust with someone who knows your voice listening on a radio with good audio.
Good idea. Did you notice the agc setting?

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Under General Options you also have noise cancellation type A and B. If you try NC don’t forget to try both options.
I will give it a shot and report back. The reports that I get back is a hollow/distant sound currently. Though I keep my mouth close to the mic.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
That is the NC, turn it off. I have ALC on which gives me the option to turn it on and off via the menu. NC is designed to suppress siren noise, and doesn't work so well in a quiet environment.

Edit: I have both gains at 0db

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
That is the NC, turn it off. I have ALC on which gives me the option to turn it on and off via the menu. NC is designed to suppress siren noise, and doesn't work so well in a quiet environment.

Edit: I have both gains at 0db
Where in the menu would you enable or disable ALC in radio menu, do not see it under audio? I turned it on in the under audio options in the programming software.

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Also , oddly enough , I tried 3db for speaker mic and 9db for the internal mic. ALC off. NC is off. Audio was reported to be low, not unintelligable but lower than whats normal for me. This was tested analog VHF and UHF. Now to remedy this I had to goto 12 to get decent audio.

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
Also , oddly enough , I tried 3db for speaker mic and 9db for the internal mic. ALC off. NC is off. Audio was reported to be low, not unintelligable but lower than whats normal for me. This was tested analog VHF and UHF. Now to remedy this I had to goto 12 to get decent audio.
Was the radio re-housed? I had heard a while back that this could be a symptom of a rubber gasket not being installed/reinstalled on (I believe it's) the rear mic.

W4UO

Premium Subscriber
Possible, I'll have to check. I see it's still has the white sticker over the single screw under the plastic cover then I'll have a fair idea.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
XG100P unity or any Harris device for that fact does not give you all the specific audio equalizer options like Motorola does… essentially you’re stuck with what you have