• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XLT-1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarky

I purchased a used UHF XLT-1500 to use on a P25 digital system. I live just outside of the county, (Pensacola, Florida) which is across the bay. The county uses the frequency of 450.575 RM with a Nac of A35. I first utilized a quarter wave antenna. During their radio transmissions, the was a lot of digital noise. However, I had on a XTS-3000, which picked up the radio transmissions "loud and clear". I next drove over to the communications center. There, the XLT-1500, picked up the signal "loud and clear".

It was then suggested that I try a UHF high gain antenna. After installing a new Laird Technology (450-470) antenna, along with a new Laird cable, there was little improvement. But once again, the XTS3000 was picking up the county system "loud and clear".

Since I am not a radio technician, are there any programming settings which could improve the reception on the 1500? Right now, the radio was set up as a glorified scanner. It's not actually on the county system. I am perplexed as to why the walkie talkie would pick up better than a mobile?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you again.

Motorola XTL1500 UHF 450-520MHz P25 Digital Radio w/ADP UPDATED F/W FLASH.

Communications Protocol:APCO Project 25 (P25)Model:XTL1500
Service:P25Frequency Band(s):450-520 MHz
Band:UHFFeatures:Digital, Analog, Conventional, Trunking, 9600 Baud Trunking, Narrowband, Wideband, Automatic Noise Limiter (ANL), Channel Monitor, CTCSS, DCS
MPN:M28SSS9PW1ANCountry/Region of Manufacture:United States
Brand:MotorolaPower:49 Watts
Type:Mobile/In-VehicleProduct Line:ASTRO-25 XTL
Number of Channels:512

hill

Premium Subscriber
I guess you mean XTL 1500, since multiple times in your post you listed the radios as a XLT 1500.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are 100% sure it's programmed correctly (I'm showing 460.575, not 450.575) then you need to look at the antenna. If it's not the antenna, then consider any used radio in need of a trip to Mr. Service Monitor for a tune up. Used radios are not reliable.

Tell us about your antenna setup? How is it installed, where is it installed?

Clarky

If you are 100% sure it's programmed correctly (I'm showing 460.575, not 450.575) then you need to look at the antenna. If it's not the antenna, then consider any used radio in need of a trip to Mr. Service Monitor for a tune up. Used radios are not reliable.

Tell us about your antenna setup? How is it installed, where is it installed?
Yes, you are correct on the frequency. I will call the radio shop to have it checked. I will present your ideas. Thank you for the input. The other question was about the antenna. I used a brand new Laird trunk lip mount.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I purchased a used UHF XLT-1500 to use on a P25 digital system. I live just outside of the county, (Pensacola, Florida) which is across the bay. The county uses the frequency of 460.575 RM with a NAC of A35.

Since I am not a radio technician, are there any programming settings which could improve the reception on the 1500? Right now, the radio was set up as a glorified scanner. It's not actually on the county system. I am perplexed as to why the walkie talkie would pick up better than a mobile?

I would have bought the same radio but I was looking for a 380-470 split.

1. Make sure the channel bandwidth is set to 12.5khz (FM-N) settings for P25.
2. Make sure the personality is set for ASTRO Rx Voice/Signal type (not mixed mode.)
3. Make sure the Advanced RF AGC to "Enhanced" (also under the personality.)

I've heard that some Motorola's can go 'deaf' on receive due to either a bad RF front-end or a improperly tuned receiver. Since it was working at the comm center then it sounds like it's working OK though.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I just discovered this myself but I discovered something annoying about the XTL radios. So in CPS, the squelch setting is global and only configurable as a menu item OR you can go into CONV CONFIGURATION and enable the checkbox "Squelch per personality." I recommend the latter because the DEFAULT squelch value is "6" out of 15. Setting this to a value of "3" should help with receive performance.

I also thought my XTL was a little deaf at times.

N4KVE

I just discovered this myself but I discovered something annoying about the XTL radios. So in CPS, the squelch setting is global and only configurable as a menu item OR you can go into CONV CONFIGURATION and enable the checkbox "Squelch per personality." I recommend the latter because the DEFAULT squelch value is "6" out of 15. Setting this to a value of "3" should help with receive performance.

I also thought my XTL was a little deaf at times.
I always set the squelch on my XTS/XTL radios to 1. And I make sure the flash code has the pre amp feature.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I always set the squelch on my XTS/XTL radios to 1. And I make sure the flash code has the pre amp feature.

On my XTS portables I use "3" because I thought 1 or 2 might cause a bit of excess noise on weaker signals. I never tried it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.