• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xpr6550

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
i have 2 xpr 6550s one 450-512 and one 403-470. the back light on the 450-512 radio is much nicer and the keypad also lights up. the back light on the 403-470 isn't as bright and the keypad doesn't light up. Is there a problem with the 403-470 radio, the seller i bought it from said it was new old stock.

PACNWDude

It could be the "new old stock" as backlights can become dim with age. It could also be a setting where a button was programmed for a dimmer feature. With CPS software you could read the radio and find out.

For models with partial or full keypads:
You can press the Menu button,then arrow left or right to Utilities. Select Radio Settings and arrow to Backlight. Then see what that is set to.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
after doing some more research i found that my 450-512 radio was made in may of 2010 and my 403-470 radio was made in march of 1994. I guess that's why the keypad doesn't light up and the screen back light is different. I was also wondering what the flat rate repair from Motorola costs as I'm having problems with the volume control on my 450-512 radio, and maybe depending on cost might send in the 403-470 radio to get the updated back-light and keypad back-light.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
1994 can't be right as those radios weren't introduced until 2007. Not sure on the cost but any authorized dealer should be able to help you.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
when i look up the radio this is what i get

Serial # : 037YUF2695
Model # : AAH55QDH9LA1AN
Warranty Status : Unit is not covered under warranty
Based On : Defaulted to One Year Warranty
Last Repair Date : --
Repair Warranty End : --
Manufactured Date : 31-MAR-1994
Manufacturer's Standard Warranty End : 30-MAR-1996

N4KVE

That can not be a "U", because as others have said, that radio did not exist in 1994. And if the tag does say "U", it's a typo. Read the radio & see what the ser # really is.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
read from the radio serial # 037YUF2695 model # H55QDH9LA1AN
Well, it's not the first time I've seen a typo but I can tell you with all certainty, the 'U' should have been something else. Not sure what exactly but it's much newer than '94.

com501

The serial number does not exist in the Motorola database. Someone has hacked that radio. Probably explains the anomalies in the codeplug and why your backlight is different. Trbo radios are not hard to hack, and they aren't hard to screw up, as a consequence. Someone with not all the correct tools or knowledge can do a half job and get most of it right, but your dim display issue and your bogus serial number are two leading indicators of other issues. You might want to further inspect that radio.

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
I'm not understanding, the sticker under the battery has the same model and serial number that come up when i read the radio so why does that mean the radio was hacked. what happens if the radio was hacked and i send it to Motorola for repair?

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
Here's a photo of the label. A far as the screen is concerned the screen appears to be lit by 4 leds above the screen. radio on the left is the 450-512 radio on the right is the 403-470 notice the lack of keypad backlight and the picture doesn't do it justice on the screen backlight

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 680
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 855

hitechRadio

Was the U radio an Ebay purchase.
It had been known that the chinese are making exact replicas of motorola radio's. I have not seen an XPR replica, but I have seen a BPR40. It was very hard to tell the difference on the outside, until you opened it up to compare. Even the Motorola Labels on the fake were pretty dang close to the real deal. Even used Motorola Programing software just fine.

Last edited:

hakwye8518

Premium Subscriber
yes it was purchased on eBay as new old stock. If I take the radio apart how do i tell if its a genuine Motorola radio. thanks everyone for the help with this.

hitechRadio

I could not tell you for sure on a XPR, never had one open.
In the BPR sloppy soldering, and ALT. parts inside. And overall fit and finish was poor or just different compared to the original.
Also the guy who purchased the BPR knew it was a hack, but was curious to see what the difference's where because it was so cheap. If he would have bought it not knowing it was a fake, I doubt he would of ever known.

I would open it up and see if the LED's for the keypad are populated. If they are populated, could be part of the problem with the dim display, not sure though. As I am pretty sure all XPR's had a lighted keypad.
As far as the S/N , I am scratching my head too!

Last edited:

hitechRadio

If your not happy with it, and don't think you got what you paid for. Open a case for return and get your money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.