• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR7550 & NMN6274

KN1IGHT

Hi all,

I have been looking at purchasing an NMN6274 to pair with my XPR7550, however I am finding conflicting information on what firmware the XPR needs to be for this mic to work with it, since Moto's site doesn't list the XPR7550 as compatible.

In my searching for an answer, I have come across clearly old eBay listings for an NMN6271, which state in the description that the minimum firmware required is R02.40.02 (or later) for the NMN6271 to function properly with the XPR7550 (I'm assuming it's the same for NMN6274).

My XPR7550 is currently on Firmware Version R02.09.00.0001 (has been on this version since I got it) & Codeplug Version 14.00.13
I am/ have been using CPS 16 Build 828 for programming it.

I do have a MOL account & can see & download firmware releases under MyView -> Entitlements -> Software, however none of them are R02.40.02.

I also found 2 threads in my searching, about basically the same topic.
One from 2017: ( )
One from 2022: (XPR 7550 pairing to a IMPRES XP RSM Mic)

The specific post I linked to in the 2017 one basically reiterates what I said above about firmware needing to be R02.40.02 (I am assuming the NMNN6261A in that post is a typo) & then the 2022 one references firmware 2.08 & 2.09, so I basically got 2 questions:

1. Would my current firmware (R02.09.00.0001) allow an NMN6274 to work with the XPR7550?
2. If not, would the most recent firmware release (on 3/15/2022) which is R02.21.01.1005, allow the NMN6274 to work properly with the XPR7550?

I am posting this, before purchasing an NMN6274 & updating the firmware on the XPR.

Hopefully this post was easy to understand.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

hp8920

R02.40 is basically R02.04, released circa 2014. You are on R2.09, which exceeds that version. It has to do with Motorola switching numbering schemes. They went R02.40, R02.50, then switched to R02.06. Then again, after R02.10, they switched schemes to R02.20, where 20 is the year of release, 2020.

K2NEC

No it won't work, you need the NMN6271. It's a different connector that's not supported on the TRBO series.

hp8920

Motorola NMN6274 APX XP Remote Speaker Mic, 3.5mm Jack

No the XPR does not support the 3.5mm jack interface.

No it won't work, you need the NMN6271. It's a different connector that's not supported on the TRBO series.

The 3.5 mm jack is on the RSM and lets you plug in an earpiece with a short cord to listen. It has nothing to do with the radio-side interface.

K2NEC

The 3.5 mm jack is on the RSM and lets you plug in an earpiece with a short cord to listen. It has nothing to do with the radio-side interface.
1. The RSM doesn't have a jack on it, the connector does
2. The connector that attaches to the radio doesn't have a cutout that is required for TRBO radios. It physically will not fit the radio.

KN1IGHT

R02.40 is basically R02.04, released circa 2014. You are on R2.09, which exceeds that version. It has to do with Motorola switching numbering schemes. They went R02.40, R02.50, then switched to R02.06. Then again, after R02.10, they switched schemes to R02.20, where 20 is the year of release, 2020.
Confusing, but does make more sense now that it's been explained. Thank you :)

1. The RSM doesn't have a jack on it, the connector does
2. The connector that attaches to the radio doesn't have a cutout that is required for TRBO radios. It physically will not fit the radio.
You are correct. The connector itself has the 3.5mm threaded connector on it.
I also wasn't aware that it wouldn't physically fit. Prior to posting, I just assumed the NMN6271 & NMN6274 connectors were identical, with NMN6274 connector being slightly bigger to accommodate the 3.5mm threaded jack.

Thank you to everyone who answered. I truly appreciate the help, regardless if I replied directly to your post or not.

K2NEC

Just for a visual, this is the connector on the 6274:
Motorola NMN6274 - APX XP IMPRES Remote Speaker Microphone, 3.5mm Audio  Jack for Sale in Jessup, MD - OfferUp

And this is a normal TRBO connector:
Motorola HMN4101 - Remote Speaker Microphone For Apx 6000/7000 Series  Radios – Waveband Communications

Notice how the middle part is cut out on the top part that hooks into the radio. The APX doesn't have or need this middle part to be cut out. But the TRBO does.

KN1IGHT

Just for a visual, this is the connector on the 6274:
Motorola NMN6274 - APX XP IMPRES Remote Speaker Microphone, 3.5mm Audio  Jack for Sale in Jessup, MD - OfferUp

And this is a normal TRBO connector:
Motorola HMN4101 - Remote Speaker Microphone For Apx 6000/7000 Series  Radios – Waveband Communications

Notice how the middle part is cut out on the top part that hooks into the radio. The APX doesn't have or need this middle part to be cut out. But the TRBO does.

I've had my 7550 for a few years now, &, now that it's been pointed out, I do recall noticing that cut out when using my current PMMN4025 speaker mic, but I never even thought about it being something to consider when looking for the 6274.
Since I'm more of a visual person, I do appreciate the pictures to explain/ visually show why the 6274 will physically not work. :)

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Notice the prick move, just like the battery notch on the casting preventing certain otherwise compatible batteries from being used. Some of us file down the notch on the housing with a Dremel to overcome this hurdle.

KN1IGHT

I was wondering about that, if it was possible to modify either the radio, or the mic so they work together, however I’m not to comfortable with the thought of doing that.

Can anyone report/ does anyone know if a PMMN4099 works with the XPR7550?
If I recall, the 4099 has an orange button, 1 programmable one, 3.5mm jack & a high/ low volume toggle.

I recall coming across 1 or 2 threads in the past that say it does work, but cannot seem to locate those anymore. Not sure if they were here on RR, or else where though.

In one of those threads however, I do remember that someone detailed how they opened up the PMMN4099 & modified the internals, so the high/ low volume toggle was actually noticeably louder when it was set to high (prior to the modification, the high volume was barely louder then low).

Will reiterate again, I do appreciate the help & info from everyone.

Last edited: