• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR7550E audio from repeater cutting out

No, I'm not asking for the CPS (because I already have it), no, I'm not asking for anyone to give me anything other than input on what I should do within the CPS, if anything can be done. I'm not doing anything that would otherwise break the rules of the forum.

With that out of the way, hello! I recently bought, second-hand, a Motorola XPR7550E, and I'm absolutely happy to have it, though I just have one problem (so far); whenever a repeater gives that two-tone "roger beep" or whatever it is, it just cuts out, similar happens when my friend speaks into his radio, it just cuts out, I'm guessing the volume is too much for the radio to handle

Thoughts?

Is your repeater wideband (5KHz) and your XPR set to narrow (2.5KHz), if so, this will cause audio to exceed the receiver passband and "chop" out like that.
I don't own the repeater, but I'd imagine it's set to wideband, how would I check to see if my XPR is set to narrow?

EDIT: I just checked to see my channel bandwidth, and it's at the only setting permitted, which is 12.5 KHz

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I don't own the repeater, but I'd imagine it's set to wideband, how would I check to see if my XPR is set to narrow?

EDIT: I just checked to see my channel bandwidth, and it's at the only setting permitted, which is 12.5 KHz
There you go, thats the problem. You need to get the wideband entitlement from Motorola to enable it for your version of CPS. For what it's worth, you cannot enable anything on CPS16 anymore, but you can on CPS2.0, which is annoying. I just went through that with Moto support, and they ended up pulling the plug on CPS16 for any entilements or enabling features on radios.

There you go, thats the problem. You need to get the wideband entitlement from Motorola to enable it for your version of CPS. For what it's worth, you cannot enable anything on CPS16 anymore, but you can on CPS2.0, which is annoying. I just went through that with Moto support, and they ended up pulling the plug on CPS16 for any entilements or enabling features on radios.
I should've guessed, I'll try and look for it on MOL and see how much it'll set me back by, if anything, and if I can get it, then excellent

EDIT: So, I have to ask, is it the 20/25KHz thing? If so, that's actually not permitted by the FCC, as per the CPS, so at this point, what're my options?

Last edited:

Asunakiyori

Lurker
I suddenly dont wanna think how much that is gonna cost me....

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I should've guessed, I'll try and look for it on MOL and see how much it'll set me back by, if anything, and if I can get it, then excellent

EDIT: So, I have to ask, is it the 20/25KHz thing? If so, that's actually not permitted by the FCC, as per the CPS, so at this point, what're my options?
Yes, it is the 20/25kHz entitlement, which is not permitted for Part 90 LMR, but is permitted for amateur radio (Part 97) and permitted for GMRS (Part 95, even though the radio is technically not certified for GMRS). Motorola makes you take a learning course (watch a 5 minute video) to be elligable. It is also now $5.00 (was free before).
1718824626654.png

Yes, it is the 20/25kHz entitlement, which is not permitted for Part 90 LMR, but is permitted for amateur radio (Part 97) and permitted for GMRS (Part 95, even though the radio is technically not certified for GMRS). Motorola makes you take a learning course (watch a 5 minute video) to be elligable. It is also now $5.00 (was free before).
View attachment 164240
Okay cool, don't wanna get my license revoked, but I'll snag it anyway, cheers! :D

Asunakiyori

Lurker
ok thats not.. as bad as i thought it was

So, I have the EID, but CPS2 says that the licensing server has no features to register under the EID, so wideband is not possible atm, what's next?

EDIT: nvm, I did a smol brain, the register button is for DEVICE features, sorry

Alright, so update; I got the entitlement yesterday, activated it, and changed the bandwidth, and now it's working just fine, thanks for the help!