• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL 5000 RECEIVING ISSUE

nokones

Premium Subscriber
Just because he say it is set for narrownabnd doesn't mean it it. I would try to monitor him in wideband and see what it does. I haeve my APX programemd with all GMRS in with then next bank all in narrow for this issue. My JK has an XTL and its the same there. Ive had issues on JJ rides with the same and have to switch to wide each time.
Good Idea. Now, what about the rest of the group using the previously mentioned FRS Bubblepack radios. How do they sound if my personality is programmed wideband and they are narrowband?

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
It will most likely suck. Honest. I switch to see who is using what. If switching to wide lets you hear the other radio you know he is wideband or there are modulation issues. I've been on some rides where my mobile is on wide and I use my handheld to transmit. No easy way to do this unless all users get the same or similar radios. I stll run a midland 275 for that reason in all my jeeps. Most of the rides everyone has the midland and I prefer the KISS method. If there is a mix match I'll normally just use my Motorola

nokones

Premium Subscriber
You already said that those radios were LOUD at your end. There is a common misconception that if a radio is set to 12.5 KHz channel spacing rather than 25 KHz, that it is operating narrow band. It probably is not. That is a different setting.

"The receive audio is loud (noise quieting) but broken up."
I am absolutely positive that I am Narrowbanding, at least according to my CPS! Line 2 is Tx/Rx 462.625 MHz with the Anytone Radio and Line 3 is Tx/Rx 462.575 with the Baofeng radio. And again, I am positive that the Anytone Radio is narrowbanding with his 2.5 KHz Dev. and not just 12.5 KHz channel spacing. To be on the safe side, I will confirm again with the Baofeng Radio owner that he is also narrowbanding with his Dev. and not just channel spacing.

ng!20240315_040916_resized.jpg

nokones

Premium Subscriber
It will most likely suck. Honest. I switch to see who is using what. If switching to wide lets you hear the other radio you know he is wideband or there are modulation issues. I've been on some rides where my mobile is on wide and I use my handheld to transmit. No easy way to do this unless all users get the same or similar radios. I stll run a midland 275 for that reason in all my jeeps. Most of the rides everyone has the midland and I prefer the KISS method. If there is a mix match I'll normally just use my Motorola
It got so bad with the Anytone radio, I had to listen on my XTS5000 radio and I transmitted on my XTL5000 radio. I used a singlewire earpiece to prevent the audio feedback when I transmitted.

I'll verify with the Baofeng Radio owner if he is narrow or wide. I know for sure, the Anytone is narrow. He knows what he is doing but he could do a better job on making choices with his radio brand.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You didn't specify which anytone model he is using but he could have a opened up ham radio. Ive seen those all over the place. Not saying thats your issue but without a service monitor to look at it you;ll probably never know.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
You didn't specify which anytone model he is using but he could have a opened up ham radio. Ive seen those all over the place. Not saying thats your issue but without a service monitor to look at it you;ll probably never know.
He told me which model he had but that DMS to me and I don't remember. He is a HAM guy and he just got his Extra and I believe he is using that radio for both HAM and GMRS. He's on both all day long.
I'll ask him for the model.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The Anytone radio is a 578 UVIII Plus. The owner stated he was having a power connection issue. He was using an external power connection that he said apparently was failing thus not getting full power. He said that he resolved the power problem with Anderson PowerPoint.

We'll see if that did or not on the next Trail Run he leads and that will be April 5. In the meantime, I'll be following up with the Baofeng guy regarding if he was on a real narrowband channel. Although, I did program my two XTL5000 High Power radios with a couple of wideband channels and swapped out the radio.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The problem is on the other end. Those cheap $15-30.00 radios are horrible with modulation. If I were to recommend anything to you it would be to steer away from the glass mount antennas.
Sorry for a super late response.

I have two vehicles and both vehicles have composite body material and the point-to-point use distance was never intended to be very far. My race car would never see more than two miles between the two communication points and I don't have any problems.

My Jeep was only intended for Jeep trail comm within a group. In this application, I was surprised in the performance. I am able to hit several repeaters which I estimate approx.on the average of 30-50 miles in airwaves miles. Also, I had a simplex car-to-car approx. 10-12 miles on flat terrain with nothing but residential housing and some small business structures and Palm Trees between the two cars and the audio was readable, noisy but readable. I can't really complain too much with the performance I get with the glass mount

So, the performance with the glass mount on the Jeep is more than expected especially since the Jeep in itself is a poor antenna platform to begin with. I think in this application, the glass mount antenna would either equal or be better than having a NMO mount type antenna that is 60-70% blocked by the Jeep body.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The Anytone radio is a 578 UVIII Plus. The owner stated he was having a power connection issue. He was using an external power connection that he said apparently was failing thus not getting full power. He said that he resolved the power problem with Anderson PowerPoint.

We'll see if that did or not on the next Trail Run he leads and that will be April 5. In the meantime, I'll be following up with the Baofeng guy regarding if he was on a real narrowband channel. Although, I did program my two XTL5000 High Power radios with a couple of wideband channels and swapped out the radio.
I finally followed up with the Baofeng guy and today told me he was Wideband because that is what GMRS freqs are. He originally told me he was narrowband.

I tried to explain to him that the members with the bubble pack FRS radios can't change their dev. so they have to run narrowband and he replied that software can change that.

Huh, I don't think that is possible with a FRS radio like a Midland. He didn't seem to care too much about it. Well, I'll just set my channel for this group wideband so I can understand what the group leader is communicating.

He is also a HAM guy and kinda stubborn and most likely he will not change his radio to narrowband as everyone else is narrowband.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Baofeng guy

I tried to explain to him

He didn't seem to care too much about it.

He is also a HAM guy and kinda stubborn

- 10 points for Baofeng.
-100 points for being a ham and not having a freakin' clue.

This is why properly type accepted equipment is handy. People that have zero clue what they are doing can't stick their fingers in them and mess things up.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
- 10 points for Baofeng.
-100 points for being a ham and not having a freakin' clue.

This is why properly type accepted equipment is handy. People that have zero clue what they are doing can't stick their fingers in them and mess things up.
Would you say he may be the todays end product of a person with a good memory for remembering the test answers and had luck passing the test and truly doesn't know the ins/outs of radio from a technical point of view?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would you say he may be the todays end product of a person with a good memory for remembering the test answers and had luck passing the test and truly doesn't know the ins/outs of radio from a technical point of view?

I'd say that it sounds like people I've met in my life that are unteachable and don't care. There's zero point in arguing with them, as they'll just find some person on the internet that tells them what they want to hear.

Avoid people like that.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I'd say that it sounds like people I've met in my life that are unteachable and don't care. There's zero point in arguing with them, as they'll just find some person on the internet that tells them what they want to hear.

Avoid people like that.
That's pretty much how I read it and after the discussion ended I said to myself, well, I guess that conversation is done.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Ive had similar arguments with other both hams and non hams. Its just a mentality thing. My issue is if 20 guys in your group are all running big box store stuff and your on your baofeng folks have issues. As the "group lead" he should realize this and do what the group is doing. I had a very similar discussion last year at one my JJ events. After explaining the issue that trail guide was smart enough to change his stuff over night. I run an APX radio in every vehicle I own but all my jeeps have a midland for the KISS method also. And person on the event can walk to my jeep and grab the head and change the channel and understand it. I'm not a fan of the narrow band stuff but sometimes you just need to join the crowd and enjoy the trip....Now back to packing the jeep for this weekends event...

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I'm still kinda puzzled by his comment about "software can change a FRS radio to Wideband". I guess that is possible through the Microphone and charging jack port but is there software out there for the Midland LXT600 series FRS radio so that can be done? Maybe Chirp actually can get into a Midland LXT600 radio and change the deviation on that radio to wideband? I'm not a Chirp guy and I will never have a need for the Chirp software and a radio that is programmed with Chirp.

Oh well, moving on and wishing I was packing the Jeep for a run. The Jeep clubs I belong to make their runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and never during a weekend and there is nothing this week I believe there is something scheduled for the following week. Enjoy your weekend run

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I dont know of any big box store radios that can be reprogrammed. I know none of the midland stuff can be.

Head out tomorrow. Ride all day Friday and Saturday then home Sunday...other than the 9 hour drive each way looking forward to getting out there again this year..first trip of the year.

merlin

No, the two channels are not being used as wideband. The two GMRS channels are being used as narrowband (2.5 KHz deviation) because most the of members are using FRS radios.
Those FRS are wide band radios and typically all the GMRS channels, and shared, are wideband.
Receiving wideband with a narrowband setting, could be the reason for the breaking up. Usually fine the other way round.

merlin

I'm still kinda puzzled by his comment about "software can change a FRS radio to Wideband". I guess that is possible through the Microphone and charging jack port but is there software out there for the Midland LXT600 series FRS radio so that can be done? Maybe Chirp actually can get into a Midland LXT600 radio and change the deviation on that radio to wideband? I'm not a Chirp guy and I will never have a need for the Chirp software and a radio that is programmed with Chirp.

Oh well, moving on and wishing I was packing the Jeep for a run. The Jeep clubs I belong to make their runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and never during a weekend and there is nothing this week I believe there is something scheduled for the following week. Enjoy your weekend run
Literally all factory FRS radios are fixed and not programable. FRS channels are 12.5 KHz from channel 8 through 14, the rest are 20 KHz.
Those LXT600s are decent radios but not programable and comliant with FRS rules.
Baofeng and anytone can be programmed, but they don't comply with part 90. A lot of people use them thogh.
Broken audio can be a lot of things especially antennas or connections. I doubt it is your XTL.
I presume also you know there is a limit of 50 watts to be legal on GMRS, and that is channels 15 and up. Problem running 100 watts, is people are going to hear you but not enough power to talk to you. (I know, people will do it anyway)
Check all your connections/antenna, have you group do the same and have a fun runnabout.