• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6CDA

Please forgive my ignorance and the fact that this question may have already been answered, but I'm a Motorola rookie and don't want to brick my radio.

I have an XTS5000 with Host/DSP Version R16.00.02 and just purchased the CPS and Programming Cable. Before I hook up the radio and do anything I wanted to ask a few questions that are floating around in my head.

1. If I read the radio with a newer CPS version and save the Codeplug, will I be able to reload that Codeplug at a later date with no problems?

2. If I reprogram the radio with new zones and channels, will there be any foreseeable problem writing these to the radio?

3. Is there anyway to upgrade the Host/DSP on my side or would I have to send it to the depot? Do I even need to upgrade the Host/DSP?

4. Am I over-thinking the whole process?

Again, Host/DSP is R16.00.02

Flashcode is:
540008-000482-4

H38 - SMARTZONE Systems Operation
Q806 - ASTRO Digital Operation
Q173 - SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation
Q361 - ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking Systems Operation
H14 - Enhanced Digital ID Display
H869 - Multikey
Q446 - Channel Announcement

I bought the radio for Ham use and Public Safety monitoring.

Any thoughts, questions, or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris
W6CDA

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Please forgive my ignorance and the fact that this question may have already been answered, but I'm a Motorola rookie and don't want to brick my radio.

I have an XTS5000 with Host/DSP Version R16.00.02 and just purchased the CPS and Programming Cable. Before I hook up the radio and do anything I wanted to ask a few questions that are floating around in my head.

1. If I read the radio with a newer CPS version and save the Codeplug, will I be able to reload that Codeplug at a later date with no problems?

2. If I reprogram the radio with new zones and channels, will there be any foreseeable problem writing these to the radio?

3. Is there anyway to upgrade the Host/DSP on my side or would I have to send it to the depot? Do I even need to upgrade the Host/DSP?

4. Am I over-thinking the whole process?

Again, Host/DSP is R16.00.02

Flashcode is:
540008-000482-4

H38 - SMARTZONE Systems Operation
Q806 - ASTRO Digital Operation
Q173 - SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation
Q361 - ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking Systems Operation
H14 - Enhanced Digital ID Display
H869 - Multikey
Q446 - Channel Announcement

I bought the radio for Ham use and Public Safety monitoring.

Any thoughts, questions, or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chris
W6CDA

1. If you read it with a newer version of CPS and WRITE to the radio, then you will always need that version or later to write to the radio.

2.See number 2, if you write to your radio with a newer version of CPS than you have, you will have to upgrade your CPS to that version to do anything with the radio.

3.You can do HOST/DSP updates yourself if you have a valid subscription for the product line, they post the updates on MOL. You'll need a flashkey attached to be able to do HOST/DSP updates. Any local MSS should be able to do it, they usually charge $75 or so.
HOST/DSP updates usually resolve problems and issues, and offer enhancements. Best to read the release notes on MOL as new HOST/DSP refreshes are released. FYI current HOST/DSP for your XTS5K is R17.00.02 and just came out. Major fix is an issue with radio resetting on 9600 baud systems so the notes say.

4. No, not at all.

You have a nice radio. I personally wouldn't worry about updating your radio, V16 is fairly stable, some issues with 3600 baud trunking audio holes, V17.0 resulted in some hosed radios during update process and they just released V17.02 (though no mention of the bricking of radios...imagine that)

My only advice is to purchase a REAL OEM Motorola programming cable, not the Chinese turds on Ebay. Why risk a $2000 radio with a junk cable? There are a few sellers who sell the real deal for under $80 (Rick Thompson K0HU comes to mind) and these are a worthwhile investment if you plan on doing your own programming and especially if you get into flashing/upgrading.

W6CDA

Thank you for the reply. You have put my mind at ease. After reading a lot of people's troubles with programming cables, I made absolutely sure to purchase the genuine product. It was expensive but it will be well worth the investment.

Thanks again!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thank you for the reply. You have put my mind at ease. After reading a lot of people's troubles with programming cables, I made absolutely sure to purchase the genuine product. It was expensive but it will be well worth the investment.

Thanks again!

I got my OEM cable here about two years ago http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-RK...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41634c03b9back:

He's a standup guy and his price is about $30 cheaper than what I can order it from MOL for.

It always amazes me at the number of folks who would trust a 2,000 dollar radio to some cheap garbage cable then get dumbfounded when it doesn't work or worse...a trip to the depot will run around $360 plus shipping for flat rate, their selling for not much more used. Why risk it? If you've ever seen the inside of these knock off cables, you'll see why their $20 and the real deal costs what it does.

My OEM cable works right everytime. Flashed several radios with it. Not one problem.

You get what you pay for.

as I told someone, Motorola is like a BMW...if you have to ask, you can't afford it!

W6CDA

Quick update everyone!

Got the OEM cable and CPS today. Loaded the CPS, hooked up the cable, and was able to read, modify, and write a new codeplug. And yes, I did save the original codeplug.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Chris

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Quick update everyone!

Got the OEM cable and CPS today. Loaded the CPS, hooked up the cable, and was able to read, modify, and write a new codeplug. And yes, I did save the original codeplug.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Chris

good deal. these are a great series of Motorola radio, they are about to drop tremendously in price soon as Ma M is pushing the APEX line and the XTS/XTL's will soon be EOL'ed. Good news is the depot will support them for at least 5 years (probably longer, they're still supporting MTS2000/MCS2000's and those went OOP in 2006 IIRC).

SCPD

QRT
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.