• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 programming question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I was looking at a XTS5000 the other day and on the display it had a V with a right facing arrow underneath it. My buddy tells me they use 4 digital repeaters to cover the county and each repeater has the same input frequency and NAC, but different output frequencies. He said the XTS automatically selects the best signal received from the tower and that they are all linked. He also said his radio will automatically switch to the strongest received tower after he transmits. It is NOT a trunked system. I watched as he transmitted on "North" and the radio switched to "South" on the display. The Z scan icon was not on the display.

How is something like this set up? Can it only be done with digital or can it be done with analog as well? What radios support this feature ?

My ambulance corps is having coverage problems and we need a repeater in another part of out response area. This feature may solve our problem.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hmmmm... the only "right facing arrow" graphic I'm familiar with is the one for "direct" (output freq and input freq are the same).

For analog receive, there's a feature called "conventional/multicast voting scan" (Q387) that'll select the strongest among multiple repeater sites... Could this be what you're looking for?

Peter
K1PGV

ClayD

Sounds like convention/vote scan setup to me. Just curious, what area was this system running?

That vote scan feature is growing in popularity. I have seen it used on a P25 system before.

richardc63

ClayD said:
Sounds like convention/vote scan setup to me. Just curious, what area was this system running?

That vote scan feature is growing in popularity. I have seen it used on a P25 system before.

Clay,

It is the voting scan feature and we use it very heavily in our systems in Australia. I personally don't recommend voting on handhelds (we only do this with the XTL5Ks) as voting becomes more unpredictable due to the location/orientation of the handheld.

Cheers,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.