Yaesu FT1DR/E

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
We just had the joint club meeting yesterday and it seems there are a number of DR-1X repeaters about to go on-line to replace existing analog only. Hard not to spending $500 to replace an old patch-work club analog repeater.

Just replaced my Kenwood D710 for a Yaesu FTM-400. Looks like one of the few times I made a choice at the right time and place.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I've been using my FT1D for about a year and have had several digital QSO's, both simplex and through repeaters. I travel all over the USA and use RepeaterBook.com to find local Fusion repeaters. Unfortunately it's not kept up to date as well as it could be so I also have to keep up in the Yahoo groups to find new repeaters. http://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/niche/index.php?mode=YSF

Last week I was on a layover in Orlando and connected to AES's VHF Wires-X Node. Pretty slick. I was able to download and listen to recorded C4FM voice messages, and leave one of my own. Also text messages. It's sort of like the AX25 packet BBS but with added features, like voice and image uploading and downloading. And through a Node you can talk to someone via VOIP.

https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/index.php

The FT-1D is a feature packed HT. It will receive many other frequency bands and it does it very well.
It's a solid, well built HT. Even if I didn't use it for the digital capability, I still feel it's a decent value. If it would work on 220, it'd be perfect! I also use the APRS function when I think about it.

The stock rubber duck is pretty marginal, as expected. I use a Jetstream JT776SMA antenna when I really need to use the HT to it's fullest.

Last edited:

jk77

Last week I was on a layover in Orlando and connected to AES's VHF Wires-X Node. Pretty slick. I was able to download and listen to recorded C4FM voice messages, and leave one of my own. Also text messages. It's sort of like the AX25 packet BBS but with added features, like voice and image uploading and downloading. And through a Node you can talk to someone via VOIP.

Call me an old stick in the mud, but this no longer sounds like amateur radio to me. It's morphed into some weird mixture of amateur radio, cell phone technology, and computer technology. I don't even like the looks of the new FT-2DR. It's starting to look like a cell phone. If I want that, I'll use an actual cell phone. It's more versitile and you don't even need a license for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.