Yaesu: Yaesu FTM-300 (WIRES-X Transceiver Not Connected Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfritz

Premium Subscriber
In 2021, I acquired a Yaesu FTM-300 and connected it to my Dell Latitude 3520 laptop (Windows 10) running WIRES-X. Everything ran fine. As time went by, I started getting the "Transceiver Not Connected" message on the lower left screen. Rebooting the laptop would usually fix the problem. In the last few weeks though, the problem got worse and my FTM-300 only stays connected to WIRES-X on the laptop a couple of minutes or so and the "Transceiver Not Connected" pops up along with an error message "DIGITIAL TRANCEIVER ERROR RESET. CODE 1040100 (or 1050100)" is displayed on the laptop WIRE-X screen.

While trying to fix this issue here is what I've tried so far:
  1. Confirmed the FTM-300 firmware/software is up to date
  2. Tried using a different FTM-300 (same symptoms occurred)
  3. Uninstalling and reinstalling WIRES-X software on the Dell Latitude 3520
  4. Uninstalling and reinstalling the (Yaesu posted) Prolific PL2303 drivers on the Dell Latitude 3520
  5. Rolling back the Prolific drivers from V 5.2.6.0 to 5.2.2.0 to 5.1.3.0 (the original rev)
  6. Trying different SCU-40 cables
  7. Placing ferrite beads on SCU-40 cables
  8. Tried different external USB sound cards (to which the SCU-40 audio cables connect to)
  9. Tried a different laptop running WIRES-X (HP Z-BOOK running (Windows 10 and the latest version of WIRES-X and Yaesu’s Prolific drivers - same symptoms)
  10. Plugging the SCU-40 cables from the FTM-300 directly into the laptop (eliminating the USB hub and sound card)
  11. Upgraded the Dell Latitude to Windows 11 and installed a new Yaesu SC58 cable (no effect on symptoms)
As a last resort I'm purchasing another FTM-300 to see if that fixes it. If that don't fix it I may purchase another laptop. If anyone has experienced this issue and resolved it I would certainly be interested in how to fix it. I'm about out of things to try.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest using the Tools tab and running Port Check in the Wires-X software. I had a similar problem with an FTM-400 and HRI-200 box. I even had to play with port forwarding on my modem. All is now stable and operating correctly. Follow Yaesu's installation instructions exactly. It's like their firmware updates, skip a step and it will not work. I found that a static IP address was necessary but later I didn't need one. I don't have an explanation for that. Keep experimenting.

gfritz

Premium Subscriber
I just received the new FTM-300, got it out of the box, hooked it up, and now WIRES-X connects fine to the radio while using either my Dell Latitude 3520 (Windows 11) laptop or my HP Z-book (Windows 10) laptop. First time that ever happened! So apparently something has changed for the better with the new FTM-300. I have a suspicion there is some form of marginal condition with the FTM-300 design such that if it drifts ever so slightly it may (or may not) work with a particular computer. Appears to be rather finicky.

I'm keeping an eye on the performance over the next few days to see if there are any more hiccups with WIRES-X staying connected to the NEW FTM-300.

n9upc

I just received the new FTM-300, got it out of the box, hooked it up, and now WIRES-X connects fine to the radio while using either my Dell Latitude 3520 (Windows 11) laptop or my HP Z-book (Windows 10) laptop. First time that ever happened! So apparently something has changed for the better with the new FTM-300. I have a suspicion there is some form of marginal condition with the FTM-300 design such that if it drifts ever so slightly it may (or may not) work with a particular computer. Appears to be rather finicky.

I'm keeping an eye on the performance over the next few days to see if there are any more hiccups with WIRES-X staying connected to the NEW FTM-300.
Are you having more issues since you contacted as at technical support? I believe Juan has been in touch with you as that would be the 100% definitive source for troubleshooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.