Yaesu FTM-400DR / p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

n9upc

While yes Yaesu System Fusion (YSF) uses C4FM and FDMA along with P25 using C4FM and FDMA they are just slightly enough in difference that it makes them incompatible.

Remembers C4FM is FSK (freq Shift Keying) using two sets of audible tones in a + and - deviation from 0 hz. For YSF it uses 2700 Hz and 900 Hz while P25 uses 1800 Hz and 600 Hz. The formats also use the same Vocoder so I can see why people think it might be compatible.

Also to add to more of the "why does it not work question pool" look at the YSF digital formats. VW (voice wide) basically is 12.5Khz for deviation like current P25 transmissions. (Heck both even have a data rate at 9600 baud for voice!!!) In the DN (digital narrow) mode it is like dPMR (think NXDN or iDas conventional) it is 6.25 Khz in a 12.5 Khz path where one path is voice while the other is data with FEC and GPS data.

I have not had a chance to review or peel apart the data stream but I have to somewhat assume that it is different also in order not to infringe on patents.

Hope this answers some questions and does not create to many others.

beischel

Heading to 'non-interoperability' what kind of nonsense is this? Since hams are not first responders what do we need 'interop' for???

Besides hams can 'interoperate' on FM, or SSB, or for those that learn it CW, or AM, or AX.25, or PSK-31, or SSTV or or or. So really how does digital voice modes change anything.

Anyone that thinks hams need to choose one digital format is smoking some good stuff. Share please! While I have my preference for what mode I like best, there is and will be room for others. For example While P25 is the default PS standard, there is also DMR, NXDN, TETRA, as well as Opensky. I have no desire to play with either P25 or NXDN on the ham band.

This HOBBY offers one as much or as little as one wants. I would rather have a purpose built radio for each digital mode, all band all mode radios tend to not perform great everywhere. They are a compromise somewhere somehow.

Like having separate radios for different modes. I own 5 different analogue radios, and an IC-92ad. When DMR comes to where I live I will be buying a DMR radio. Calgary now has a mixed mode Analogue/P25 machine, but I am not running out to buy a P25 radio.

Interoperability... What a joke... Very wackerish too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do not need "interoperability" with any public service radios (police/fire/etc.) because those agencies do not want us to interoperate with them. The argument the interoperability crowd likes to tout is that in a real emergency, we need to directly communicate with police/fire. Folks they don't want us on their systems. Period. End of story.

If you ever listen to a weather net you'll know one of the potential reasons. The net control will ask for direct observations and to only come back with reports and nothing else. You'll get these clowns come on the net giving reports of what they just heard on radio and TV. You'll get other clowns asking for weather reports.

So just one of the reasons public officials do not want hams on their systems is that they cannot follow directions and lack discipline. Who cares if our digital standard (of which we have no standard) is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.