Yagi Antenna Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaleier1

Thanks for the info. Will look for a Yagi you mentioned.
Here you go. I got this one. and it works great. It costs $15.62 shipped free and has an F connector so you can use RG59 TV coax which has less loss at 700-900 Mhz than RG58. You can also get them with N connectors. Estimated shipping was 20 days but I got it in about 12 but that was last year with no covid. The last few things I got from Ali Express have been taking 20 days.

Tokyoblue

Here you go. I got this one. and it works great. It costs $15.62 shipped free and has an F connector so you can use RG59 TV coax which has less loss at 700-900 Mhz than RG58. You can also get them with N connectors. Estimated shipping was 20 days but I got it in about 12 but that was last year with no covid. The last few things I got from Ali Express have been taking 20 days.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.How is your reception now with this antenna?

Kaleier1

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.How is your reception now with this antenna?
I couldn't receive a system I wanted to listen to at all on several indoor antennas. I bought this and was able to pick up the system with it indoors but the control channel was still weak and unreliable. I put this antenna on my roof pointed at the system and it comes in very strong.

Tokyoblue

I couldn't receive a system I wanted to listen to at all on several indoor antennas. I bought this and was able to pick up the system with it indoors but the control channel was still weak and unreliable. I put this antenna on my roof pointed at the system and it comes in very strong.
I understand. I am thinking this should help with the simulcast distortion I am having.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
It's like flipping a coin.
I find location is a HUGE part of it. I mounted an 800mhz mag mount on small ground plane and stuck it in the gutter on 2nd floor of my house. Right above the window to my radio room. This location for some reason worked out best, where I can receive my local P25 state system using my BCD996P2 and have NO simulcast distortion! Normally distortion has been a problem here. Now running my SDS200, monitoring same P25 system, I use a yagi pointed AWAY from all the areas the towers are located. The yagi points northwest, where the only other transmitter in that direction is a 900mhz DMR business system. So I can use the yagi for BOTH my local P25 state system and SDR radio to monitor that DMR system. I have been trying different heights, locations and antennas and this works best.

bharvey2

I monitor a P25 simulcast system. (as noted, P25 is irrelevant) and have used both a corner reflector (see Post #15) and a yagi. While both improved my signal, I finally went with the yagi. The relative locations of the site towers can govern how well a directional antenna will work. If your antenna is pointing at a site tower and all others are outside of the antennas "field of view" you'll likely get a good deal of improvement compared to an omnidirectional antenna. But, if two sites are in line with the directional antenna, you may still experience simulcast distortion, maybe even to a higher degree.

Ubbe

But, if two sites are in line with the directional antenna, you may still experience simulcast distortion, maybe even to a higher degree.
If that happens you can use a $20 variable 20dB attenuator in line with the coax and adjust the signal level to only receive the strongest signal. If 20dB isn't enough then also use the scanners attenuator setting for that site. If you use diplexer and several antennas you move the attenuator to only sit in the yagi antennas coax after you have set it correctly at the scanner.

/Ubbe

bharvey2

If that happens you can use a $20 variable 20dB attenuator in line with the coax and adjust the signal level to only receive the strongest signal. If 20dB isn't enough then also use the scanners attenuator setting for that site. If you use diplexer and several antennas you move the attenuator to only sit in the yagi antennas coax after you have set it correctly at the scanner.

/Ubbe

That sounds like a good solution. My yagi has a really good view of the site I monitor and has no other competing site so I don't actually have the problem I mentioned. I just wanted the OP to be aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.