yet another RISCON/simulcast question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewinm

Feed Provider
I purchased my HP2 several years ago, around the time the 436/536 came out and was embroiled with issues of simulcast interference. I didn't bother myself with that because I'm in Rhode Island where there were 3 Towers (before East zone) and each was on separate frequencies. Hence no simulcast issues (so I thought). Thanks to more knowledgeable people on this forum, I now know that there are 4 zones, not towers and simulcast can indeed be a problem. I could never understand how, if there was only one south tower, that I could get excellent reception for North Kingstown and Warwick, pretty good (but not excellent) reception for Narragansett, but sketchy reception for Charlestown Ambulance and Newport (before they moved to the East zone). Multiple towers per zone sort of explains that.

So I'm asking for personal experiences. I have no idea what kind of issues a Home Patrol 2 has with simulcasting and whether anyone has moved from a Home Patrol 2 to an SDS100. Has anyone made this transition and if so, could you share your experience?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
I have an SDS100 and it works great for simulcast systems. My Whistlers just could not deal with the simulcast situation, even my local Ct. State PD systems. I don't have the Home Patrol or 436/536, but I have read several users complain about the same thing with those radios. You really need an SDR radio. You won't have a problem hearing Riscon with the SDS100. However for me, the sensitivity on the radio isn't as good as it could be. So I only hear the South zone maybe 10% of the time over here in southwest Ct., and I have never heard the East or North tower on the SDS100. However, and I mean a huge however, I purchased the Unication G5 back in November 2020 and I was floored how much better it receives. I use an 8 element yagi pointed east towards RI and I receive Riscon South zone about 75% of the time and also the North and East zones quite often. But there are big limitations with the G5 as it is not a scanner by any means. OK thats my experience from 100 miles away. :)

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Yeah I've used my SDS side by side with others and on RISCON, CLMRN and other simulcast systems, there is no comparison. The SDS outperforms the x36 scanners by 10 fold. The Unication as mentioned above is more of a pro-sumer grade receiver, and not a scanner, so it's limited in it's functionality but the performance is that of a commercial grade radio.

hummin24

Feed Provider
Sorry to say but the Home Patrol is junk on the RISCON system. The software is simply not up to par. You need to be at 98% decoded signal before you hear anything. Get a unification g4/g5 and be done with it.

BabaDude77

Premium Subscriber
I have a Whistler WS1065 mounted in my truck with a low pro PCTEL 800 antenna and have never had a problem with reception. Granted i am generally on 95 but have used it on back roads near westerly no problem. Infact I start to pick the system up in mystic CT at the aquarium exit and that’s fairly far from the border of RI.

lewinm

Feed Provider
Sorry to say but the Home Patrol is junk on the RISCON system. The software is simply not up to par. You need to be at 98% decoded signal before you hear anything. Get a unification g4/g5 and be done with it.

Looking for something a bit more specific than "Home Patrol is junk". Since I monitor more than just RISCON, a Unification G4 or G5 doesn't fit the bill, especially at that price. I was wondering whether anyone went from an HP2 to an SDS100 and if so, what kind of improvement did they encounter. I'm in an area where an outdoor antenna is not permitted so I was looking for a comparison between the units, specifically using the same or similar portable antenna. I currently use the Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna which is pretty good on 800 Mhz but poor on the VHF high band (which surrounding towns use for broadcast). I bought a BNC adapter to split the antenna input and mounted a Diamond RH77CA in addition to the Radio Shack antenna. That helps my VHF input but really degrades my RISCON reception.

So I'm wondering whether upgrading to an SDS100 will help my situation or whether an SDS100 will help RISCON but using two antennas for different bands is just doomed from the start.

pvnh

In general I have been unimpressed with the trunking capabilities of the home patrol II, I have one mounted in my truck. It's programmed for CLMRN and RISCON but the I find the scanning better on conventional channels. I also have a unication G5 with both state systems in it and I find that impressive. I remain bitter that the search function for the home patrol II is an extra that you have to spend money on, however is included with unication. I believe that there is a way for me to export and send my unication programming if you decide to go that route.

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
I updated a Home Patrol 1 for a friend and wasn't impressed by the performance. You still don't get around that you need a PC to help program the HP1. For the money I would go with the 996P2.

hummin24

Feed Provider
Looking for something a bit more specific than "Home Patrol is junk". Since I monitor more than just RISCON, a Unification G4 or G5 doesn't fit the bill, especially at that price. I was wondering whether anyone went from an HP2 to an SDS100 and if so, what kind of improvement did they encounter. I'm in an area where an outdoor antenna is not permitted so I was looking for a comparison between the units, specifically using the same or similar portable antenna. I currently use the Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna which is pretty good on 800 Mhz but poor on the VHF high band (which surrounding towns use for broadcast). I bought a BNC adapter to split the antenna input and mounted a Diamond RH77CA in addition to the Radio Shack antenna. That helps my VHF input but really degrades my RISCON reception.

So I'm wondering whether upgrading to an SDS100 will help my situation or whether an SDS100 will help RISCON but using two antennas for different bands is just doomed from the start.

I mean a G5 is indeed a dual band receiver.... To answer your question without getting to technical, YES a SDS100 will be better than the home patrol junk. You talk about the G5 price but if memory serves me correct the SDS100 is more $

Status
Not open for further replies.