YK Delta Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMTguy

I am debating moving to the Y-K, if any of you live/work out there, do you have any words of wisdom? Are there any online scanner feeds that I can monitor in the interim?

lsh1885

The only scanner feed I know anything about from Alaska is out of Anchorage at least as far as Public Safety type traffic is concerned. One thing about it though, they have airport transmissions coming out of the left speaker and PD/FD transmissions coming out of the right speaker, when a PD/FD unit transmits it is very hard to hear them and yes I have tried to go into my control panel and make adjustments but it has no effect.

http://scannerfeeds.us/

ftjja1

Premium Subscriber
Where in the Y-K delta area you thinking about moving to?

I'm also guessing you haven't been out there before?

I lived in Bethel for a little over a year, from 04 to 05. I didn't have a scanner then, but I can say that as far as scanning goes, you're not going to be getting a whole lot simply because there's not much activity out there to begin with. The area is very big, and the population relatively small. You wouldn't need to worry about needing a digital scanner, because I'm pretty sure that region doesn't have any ALMR repeaters and thus isn't hooked into the APCO system. Bethel Fire and Police would be on VHF, but there's just not a whole lot going on.

Where you *will* find activity, is on the VHF bands. Most of the Eskimo villages in the region are linked house to house via VHF, and occasionally CB. Think of it as a community-wide partyline. But, especially outside of Bethel, if you don't speak Yup'ik, you won't know what's going on 1/3 of the time.

Anyhow. The bottom line is that the Y-K Delta isn't exactly a scanner's paradise. Or really anyone's paradise, for that matter. You're *definitely* gonna want to visit before you move there. It's remote (fly in and out only), everything is very expensive (gas is now about to go UP from $6/gallon), and it's not the Alaska you see in commercials. No trees. Flat, muddy and buggy in the summer, and flat, frozen, and windy in winter.

But this is a scanning forum and you asked a scanning question, so I'll leave it at that for now. Let me know if you want anymore info. :)

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Where you *will* find activity, is on the VHF bands. Most of the Eskimo villages in the region are linked house to house via VHF, and occasionally CB. Think of it as a community-wide partyline. But, especially outside of Bethel, if you don't speak Yup'ik, you won't know what's going on 1/3 of the time.

Anyhow. The bottom line is that the Y-K Delta isn't exactly a scanner's paradise. Or really anyone's paradise, for that matter. You're *definitely* gonna want to visit before you move there. It's remote (fly in and out only), everything is very expensive (gas is now about to go UP from $6/gallon), and it's not the Alaska you see in commercials. No trees. Flat, muddy and buggy in the summer, and flat, frozen, and windy in winter.

LOL, sounds like the Slope!

Status
Not open for further replies.