ZEUS - Military Helos between RDU/Sanford/Fayettville

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Over the past week or two there have been numerous military helos flying between RDU and Sanford and more recently Fayettville, they are using a callsign of ZEUSxx which I don't remember being used in the area.

Does anyone know who is using these helos, what the mission is, and/or what frequencies they are using?

Screenshot 2023-05-11 16.37.00.png
Screenshot from time I wrote post

LoneOwl

Over the past week or two there have been numerous military helos flying between RDU and Sanford and more recently Fayettville, they are using a callsign of ZEUSxx which I don't remember being used in the area.

Does anyone know who is using these helos, what the mission is, and/or what frequencies they are using?

View attachment 141616
Screenshot from time I wrote post
I've been noticing that also.
I can tell you that one of the ZEUS' overflew my home east of RDU the other day, and it was an AH-64, which are based at RDU.

spacellamaman

NCNG is doing acceptance testing and training on new Apaches.

So that's what's going on, I have seen them on ADSBx and been wondering what the deal was. ZEUS never broadcast anything in the past, so it make sense. The AH64E's right?

Well I dunno if they will use their old standby freqs since they're cruising in their new fancy rides (tho I will miss the Doughnut over the rotor, the epitome of style if you ask me), but if they do, when they're not on VIPER they're often on low band and used to talk to FORECAST BASE on either 32.45FM or 230.175AM.

If ya'll are interested in a tediously compiled list of NC MilCom see:

and download

search for ZEUS brings up 10 entries, prob about a half dozen freqs.

I pretty much have fallen off on things since 2021, but the prior 5 years was pretty much a 24/7, rather over the top monitoring habit. It's not an all inclusive list, just everything I entered into the MilRadioComms database, so I would have cloud storage as I was always losing my "master lists". Entering everything there meant security and peace of mind. Then the GD thing went defunct. Again. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to print off a copy a week or two before of all my entries, fearing my eggs were in an inherently weak basket. A rare occurance indeed.

If anyone else has a more extensive list, can we be friends?

p1879

I am guessing I am hearing NCNG a/c on 52031. The radio is across the room, so I never see what TG comes up, but I do have that TG in along with a few other NCNG and HART. I live in another state, so the traffic I hear on VIPER is secondary to my interests. I do hear what sounds like flight following from NCNG some, and hear RDU and Camp Mackall mentioned . But I cannot confirm the TG. The ones I use came from the RR database.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I presume that is due to the H60s and H72s being NCArNG and therefore under the state agency type umbrella and the H64's being federal, and having no need to use or operate on VIPER?
Problem with that theory would be the use of numerous other federal agencies that use VIPER.

Unfortunately I have not seen them flying today, and haven't gotten to try the freqs you suggested.

spacellamaman

Problem with that theory would be the use of numerous other federal agencies that use VIPER.

Unfortunately I have not seen them flying today, and haven't gotten to try the freqs you suggested.
My bad, I incorrectly worded that, I forget that the H64s are Army NG just like the others. The general idea I had stands, just from a more precise angle. What I should have said was

"I presume the H60s and H72s need interoperability to execute SAR and support to civil authorities type operations via VIPER, but as H64s are helicopter gunships, their need for VIPER would be questionable?"

ie: VIPER for NG H60s and H72s to find pot farms and injured hikers = A-OK.

VIPER for NG H64s set pot farms on fire and end car chases on the beltline = Bad PR.