Sentinel: Zip code Scanners RR DB

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
I'm experiencing a strange issue with my Uniden zip code scanners. All of them (SDS 200, SDS100, BCD536HP) are loading up a system at this URL United States Department of Defense (14C) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State, even though I'm not close to it. I'm currently in New Braunfels, TX (78130). I suspect there might be an error in the Radio Reference database.

Can anyone else confirm this? Or Maybe Radio Reference should investigate this issue?

thanks,

- Kev

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yup, sounds like they got it wrong, although that system is nationwide and not associated with any one zip code. Try plugging in another zip close to yours and see what you get.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
While I don't have access to admin it, United States Department of Defense (14C) Trunking System, Various, Multi-State
At least from here, I checked those sites for TX and all are fine as to where they are located and the distance they are set at. Looks like there's a few sites south of you.
What specific site(s) name(s) are you seeing show up?

I suspect you have your radio set for the maximum mile RANGE and indeed are scanning for areas probably beyond the radio's reception range as well. Doing it that way, it is certainly taking a long time for the radio to go through so much and that your likely not interested in.

I suggest dropping your RANGE down. If all your interested in is your county, put it to zero mile range or a few miles if you want a little more.

If it was an issue of the database I'm sure a lot more people would be seeing the same issue.

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
Range Set to 10 Miles of zip code 78130 New Braunfels TX.

Sites from that system keep showing up.

Navel Bases, Island, Orlando, Weapons, 5-54

I suspect it is not a known issue because just now noticed it.

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
I conducted a test with a 0 Range and encountered the same issue on all three scanners. Additionally, I am now observing another system that has appeared, named "Motorola Federal Solutions" Motorola Federal Solutions Trunking System, Various, Multi-State with sites Altana, Mami, and others. To troubleshoot, I performed a factory reset on all the scanners including SDS100-200 and BCD536HP, but encountered the same issues.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the DOD (14C) as an example of all the systems that get listed but you can’t hear? If so, join the club. I live in Ct. When I do the zip code with the range set to zero I still get 3 states, Ct., Ma. and NY., most all of which I can’t hear, not that I even care to. I suppose the zip code thing is ok in a pinch but it seems to me I’d be spending most of my time avoiding that which I wouldn’t hear anyway. Better to browse the RR database in the county you want, then pick and choose those agencies you want to load into a FL.

RMason

Premium Subscriber

Attachments

• 1722114958948.png
    1722114958948.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 3

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
OK, I have reviewed both systems and each talk group, and I have listed the changes and submitted them.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The reason I’ve asked about what changes you have submitted is this;

I believe the zip code feature offered under “Location” in the menu has a large footprint. As stated, I live in central Connecticut but the zip code feature loads the states of not only Connecticut but New York and Massachusetts. And the adjustable “Range” setting isn’t much help. I’ve tried zero miles, and 10 miles. My assumption was I would narrow down the amount of area the scanner (or database) would look at but that’s not the case. I believe when I posted my findings I was told to review how “Range” works for a better understanding of why I couldn’t narrow down the radius from my zip code location. Sorry, but that explanation eludes me, and since I’ve come to accept it, I’m not going to research it again. To me, it’s a case of “It’s just the way it is”. So, submitting corrections relating to why so much database is included with the Range reduced to nothing or almost nothing seems to be fruitless. I believe the database is performing as designed, given certain limitations, which would discount any submitted corrections of this kind.

So, if it’s not a correction, it’s a suggestion… to reduce the area included in a zip code search to the smaller area a zip code relates to. That’s possibly due to the too numerous zip codes in use, where any attempt to limit each zip code would require an unreasonable amount of memory in the master database?

If and when you get a response on your submittals, please post it here. I’d be interested in how the response is generated. It could just be a “canned” response such as “You submittal has been received and rejected” or “Is under review”, or something like that… or better yet, they take the time to explain what’s involved.

phoboss1

Premium Subscriber
Update the talk group ranges from 1600 miles to the respective location radius. 20 Miles around the locations of the talk group sites.
Looks like all the updates were accepted. No response other than the "accepted" and you can see the updates in RR.

and

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

N1GTL

Database Admin
As stated, I live in central Connecticut but the zip code feature loads the states of not only Connecticut but New York and Massachusetts.
It is a bit of a headache listening to Long Island at times. I created the GPS "rectangles" for most of the towns in New Haven County using Google Maps to get the rectangle corners. Eventually I got GPS scanning to work okay while I was driving around but I can't imagine trying this for every town.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
It is a bit of a headache listening to Long Island at times. I created the GPS "rectangles" for most of the towns in New Haven County using Google Maps to get the rectangle corners. Eventually I got GPS scanning to work okay while I was driving around but I can't imagine trying this for every town.
I can. I can imagine because I started that project within Hartford County, Ct. and quit after only one morning! It’s a tedious amount of work and time! Even though I am retired and have time on my hands, I started to realize I’d rather be mowing my lawn or shoveling snow! Ha!

(I’d be happier spending money on a decent mobile antenna for the scanner, something I’ve yet to accomplish ever since they discontinued the (Astro?) antenna. Scanner master recommended another and I bought it but I was much happier with the discontinued one! Please don’t hijack this thread with replies here… start a new thread instead.)