• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zone Channel Assignment Text

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopyII

I have completed writing a codeplug for a XTS3000, using CPS R05.02. The only problem I have is CPS is not allowing me to fill in text for the zone name. I can see the field in the Zone Channel assignment windows, but the field itself is grayed out and wont accept text. Any ideas?

never mind, I figured it out...under the display and menu, I had the text size out of wack.

Last edited:

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
So on the screen.. it doesnt just say Z1 for default or you only see whatever alias you put on the channel?

RKG

The allowable total number of characters available for the display for your model of radio has to be allocated between zone name and channel name. Often, folks allocate the entire space to channel name, which leaves no space for zone name. The allocation is usually in something like Radio Configuration|Display.

billy5715

Also, is there a way to get the alias to come up when I'm in the actual profile, instead of in the zone assignment?

I am just getting used to to using the Astro CPS, I have a great deal of experience with HT/CDM and MCS version of CPS. But the Astro is new to me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This is a poor feature on the XTS3000. Does anyone see Motorola offering an upgrade (flash) to fix this?
What do you mean "poor feature"? The Zone/Channel layout? At least Motorola gives you the flexibility to change the number of characters per. I think it works fine for what the radio is capable of.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Also, is there a way to get the alias to come up when I'm in the actual profile, instead of in the zone assignment?

I am just getting used to to using the Astro CPS, I have a great deal of experience with HT/CDM and MCS version of CPS. But the Astro is new to me. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The LCD screen has a limited number of characters it can display. A flash would not do any good. The thing that is screwed up is the software. The greenhorn geeks that write code don't bother to look at existing software to see how it really works before they spit out a new program. Sure, maybe it "looks" close, but there's always something that requires you to scratch your head raw until you figure it out. Been like that since the HT600 days.

RodStrong

It's not a poor feature. You just have to get used to giving up some channel assignment space for zone space and vice versa. No big deal. As you get used to the software, you'll get used to this as well.

Another cheat you could do that I don't like is to keep all your available channel naming space (zone grayed out), and put a letter or number in front of each channel which shows the user what zone he/she is in. For example, channel 1 could be "A-Police", channel 2 "A-Sheriff", and so on. That way the user will always know what zone he/she is in when they look at the display.

Status
Not open for further replies.