Sentinel vs ARC536/ARCPatrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
at this time I only use ARC programs to program my 536 & HP1. I do update Sentinel every Monday but stopped sending new data to scanner. Is there any reason to include Sentinel's new file to the scanner if I continue to only use ARC to program the scanner.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sentinel is required for two things:

1) Main Database updates.
2) Firmware updates.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
thank you for your time to respond. It is always good to hear from you. I realize I have to use Sentinel to update the Firmware but that is not a weekly thing. As far as the Database goes, my thought is using Sentinel or ACT is pulling the same data just a different way. Other than making the latest frequency updates available from Radio Reference, does it offer anything I might be missing?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Third-party programs only update favorite lists, not the main database.

marksmith

If you use the main database for anything, then you are not getting the updates.

I update the main database because when mobile I often use GPS and the main database.

If you only use the radio to listen to only your favorites lists and check RR website for any changes to your local systems etc, I guess the only thing you need to do is occasionally a firmware update.

As indictated above, only the Sentinel software can update the main database. Because I often build quick favorites lists by appending from main database, that's another reason for me to keep that main database updated.

Mark
536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

llwade

Premium Subscriber
Interesting Conversation ..... It has me thinking that maybe I want to go outside the lines and see what is on the other side. Using ARC has been my crutch for years. First with 95, then 996, then Patrol, and recently 536 . I did not have to understand anything to program my scanners. I am going to put Butel aside for awhile and play with Sentinel on the HP & 536. thank you for your time and thoughts. Appreciate it

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
ARC536 will also work with the main database and if you update Sentinel then ARC also has access to the updates.
One of the main advantages is the bulk editor in ARC for the main database to make bulk changes like tone and light settings.

Gommert
Butel Software

Status
Not open for further replies.