Installing USB driver; Win7 can't find the file specifed;

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Running W7 Pro x64, the Uniden file named "uniden_usbser" will not install. I have the same problem as this guy 6 years ago;

Same dialog box pops up in DM with the typical M$ lamo message that contradicts itself (it finds the software but can't find the file).

1622923056187.png

I can access the Micro SD card by itself, but that's about all. Proscan software loads, but (of course) it can't connect to the scanner (SDS200).

From my experience I'm guessing there are missing M$ file(s) causing the problem, but that's my guess. I also tried to install the file by right clicking the inf file, but as in that thread, that doesn't work either. That thread mentioned some other driver (I believe that was what it as), but the site (link) is now dead.

Input please.

Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I tried the Ethernet port, but there is no activity showing on either LED (green or orange). And yes, the cable is good, I just had a different device connected.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Running W7 Pro x64, the Uniden file named "uniden_usbser" will not install. I have the same problem as this guy 6 years ago;

Same dialog box pops up in DM with the typical M$ lamo message that contradicts itself (it finds the software but can't find the file).

View attachment 104668

I can access the Micro SD card by itself, but that's about all. Proscan software loads, but (of course) it can't connect to the scanner (SDS200).

From my experience I'm guessing there are missing M$ file(s) causing the problem, but that's my guess. I also tried to install the file by right clicking the inf file, but as in that thread, that doesn't work either. That thread mentioned some other driver (I believe that was what it as), but the site (link) is now dead.

Input please.

Did you follow these instructions from the Uniden site BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki
Download and unzip the above driver.
Plug in the scanner using a USB cable.
Right click on the Windows Launch icon (bottom left corner) and select "Device Manager."
The device shows up with a yellow triangle.
Right click on device and select "Update Driver Software."
Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software."
Navigate to the folder where you have unzipped the above driver.

Since you are using a SDS200, an alternative is using the LAN connection. That will require an Ethernet cable connected from the scanner to a router or Ethernet switch.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Right click on the Windows Launch icon (bottom left corner) and select "Device Manager."
The device shows up with a yellow triangle.
Right click on device and select "Update Driver Software."
Select "Browse My Computer for Driver Software."
Navigate to the folder where you have unzipped the above driver.
Yes, and that is when I get the dialog box that I posted with the typical lamo M$ error message as I stated!

I'll check the LAN settings.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
ProScan works great through the LAN with the SDS200...
But if and when any firmware updates show up... You will still need the USB connection and Sentinel to update the scanner...

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the file you have is corrupt...
Try this... It's the one I use... It worked on Win7 when I was using it and now on Win10...

Attachments

• uniden_usbser.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 20

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
You have to go to the scanner menu Settings - LAN Settings - Set IP Assignment then change Disable to Auto. Restart the scanner.
I use static addresses in my Intranet, which I just set and it now is active.

If I choose the 'E/yes' option when I connect the USB cable, I can read/(and probably) write to the Micro SD card thru Windows, but that's about it.
I just tried this on my Laptop (w/ the same O/S) with the same result.

I will add both are AMD based systems.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
If you hit the "." or period it will be in serial mode...

Does your DM show this...

Comport.jpg

In Mass storage mode, it just looks like a USB flash drive... You won't see a com port show in DM... Sentinel should see it in this mode...

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
I use static addresses in my Intranet, which I just set and it now is active.

If I choose the 'E/yes' option when I connect the USB cable, I can read/(and probably) write to the Micro SD card thru Windows, but that's about it.
I just tried this on my Laptop (w/ the same O/S) with the same result.

I will add both are AMD based systems.

The CPU brand doesn't matter...

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
If I choose the dot/No button, DM shows a "?" instead of a yellow "!". That's listed as 'no driver(s) loaded. I re-run loading the 8kb driver package, but it's back to the missing file message. Square one. :(

And that was with your version which had the same files sizes. but the month dated was January of '14, vs Sept. of '14 that I had.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
It's not the processor I was referring to, it's the 'chipset' of the MB that does matter. I've run into this time and time again in the past 22 years starting with Win98 with poorly written (M$ for AMD) drivers & related system files.

Come to think of it, I have a TV SLM that has a similar problem with communicating via USB. I have to use a older Laptop with XP to get their software to work. Any drivers that loaded are with their S/W, no separate 'ad-ons'. I'll bet it's the same issue, something missing O/S related.

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Not a good idea using windows drivers for the chipset... Should use the mother boards chipset drivers from the manufacturer...

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
You misunderstood. I never stated I use default O/S drivers for the MB's chipset. Unless there isn't a choice (as in basic core drivers).
But, I don't believe this is a 'driver' issue per say, but a related .dll or similar M$ file(s) that are missing for some unknown reason that up to these 2 examples was not used or needed. ;)

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Separate question; that USB 'A' jack that is covered, what was that intended for? A 2nd flash drive for backup as I don't get any response with a A-A USB cable connected. I don't recall seeing anything in either manual about that. :unsure:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Separate question; that USB 'A' jack that is covered, what was that intended for? A 2nd flash drive for backup as I don't get any response with a A-A USB cable connected. I don't recall seeing anything in either manual about that. :unsure:
The only official comment on that port was that it's for "Future Expansion".

4th bullet point down here:

I use it for USB power to a WiFi bridge connected to the Ethernet port.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
One would think that would of been stated in the manual since it's almost impossible to miss. :rolleyes:
I always hoped that full sized USB A port was going to allow a full size keyboard to be used for easier alpha tag entry when programming by hand amongst other things.
Who knows what UPMan Paul may have had in mind for this port.

As far as manuals go, I lost all hope when they didn't even include at least a PDF manual for the BCDx96XT models.
They gave you a link to an online HTML manual that was hard to convert into a proper PDF format.

Status
Not open for further replies.