GRE PSR 800 Pre Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_G

I hope there is more then this coming...:(
Maybe I'll take another look at the EZ Scan technology, but I was not all that excited about it initially.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
Scanner with the Intel style "RR inside" logo?

When they build in WI-FI for downloading the current RR database or streaming particular channels direct to RR.com - let me know! Also, BLUETOOTH and SYNC technology to playback the audio through my car speakers would be good too.

RadioDaze

So the speculators (many of us) were right: it's the digital i-Scan. Which we were all expecting anyway. I guess that folks who have been on the fence had better buy those Pro-106s andPro-197s while they're still at the sale price!

P.S. Not much left for us to do except conduct our usual price-guessing thread. I'll safely guess that it will have a Retail Price and street price of less than the Home Patrol.

Last edited:

N8IAA

So the speculators (many of us) were right: it's the digital i-Scan. Which we were all expecting anyway. I guess that folks who have been on the fence had better buy those Pro-106s andPro-197s while they're still at the sale price!

Amen to that RadioDaze. After reading some of the posts, I decided to purchase a 396XT for my many flavors of scanning. If I get anything new, it will be a BCT-15X for milair. Seems GRE forgot about WFM comms after the Pro-43 went out of production:(
Larry

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'd like to see some specs and pictures before I pass judgment. If it's anything like the PSR700 with P25 it should be a winner. I'm sure it will have more features than the 700 however and the fact that it's a handheld makes it interesting already. You can bet RadioShack will be interested in a iScan version as well.

W6KRU

I'd like to see some specs and pictures before I pass judgment. If it's anything like the PSR700 with P25 it should be a winner. I'm sure it will have more features than the 700 however and the fact that it's a handheld makes it interesting already. You can bet RadioShack will be interested in a iScan version as well.

It has no chance of it being a winner for me Dave. Since I don't travel, what is the value in lugging around 2 gig of worthless data. The downside is being tied to the DB structure and data.

If I traveled, the concept of having the whole DB available would be a big plus and offset the negatives of the DB.

I also wonder about the expert settings availability. The one benefit I see is the small size which is usually lost when a proper antenna is attached.

Last edited:

dxradio2003

GRE Digital

Hi,

I am happy to hear about the new GRE digital scanner. Besides being a pretty good scanner, it tells me the scanner market is still in good shape to compel companies to produce more and newer scanners.

In my opinion, I think a lot of folks are overlooking this "sleeper" of a scanner. I have all the Uniden's and other Radio Shack scanners which work well, however, the RS iScan (otherwise known as the GRE PSR700) is the one I use everyday.

To be sure, everyone has their preferences and thoughts on the best radio and nobody is wrong. I just hope manufacturers continue to supply the hobby market with good products at fair prices (which is a tough balancing act at best).

---dxradio

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
And here I was hoping for them to come out with something to track MOTOTRBO and NXDN :D In my dreams.....in my dreams:)

peepoop

Premium Member
Someone just needs to make a low-cost receiver with a discriminator audio out and an associated software package that runs the whole thing and can be upgraded to add features as needed. Something like a WinRadio, but without the astronomical cost.

There's still a market for mobile products sure, but it's 2011. I'd like to start seeing new features come in the form of decoding software, not hardware.

W6KRU

Someone just needs to make a low-cost receiver with a discriminator audio out and an associated software package that runs the whole thing and can be upgraded to add features as needed. Something like a WinRadio, but without the astronomical cost.

There's still a market for mobile products sure, but it's 2011. I'd like to start seeing new features come in the form of decoding software, not hardware.

That sounds good on the surface but it's a little more complicated. The software would have to be able to switch frequencies on the receiver to trunktrack. Maybe you aren't talking about a trunking capable setup though. What you describe would be interesting for federal conventional listening if they weren't all encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.