Help A Newbie, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasastanton

I enjoy listening to police broadcasts online, was in Radio Shack yesterday and bought a scanner spur of the moment. It's a Pro-164 ($149.99). I've read the manual and can do a basic scan but was wondering / hoping I would hear more. I live in Mar Vista near the LAPD Pacific Station so I assumed I could receive that signal right away. No dice. The LAX Airport Police comes in, as does random CB talkers and Taxi dispatches. Picked up some feeds as I was driving around El Segundo today, but mostly static.

When I manually enter a frequency, I get nothing.

My questions: Does this scanner pick up, say "Hollywood" LAPD or "Culver City" police / fire? Am I doing something wrong or does the scanner need to be "programmed"? Am I just too far away from the signals and they will come in as I drive around? Excuse the ignorance and thanks for any tips you can give me.

Clark

I enjoy listening to police broadcasts online, was in Radio Shack yesterday and bought a scanner spur of the moment. It's a Pro-164 ($149.99). I've read the manual and can do a basic scan but was wondering / hoping I would hear more. I live in Mar Vista near the LAPD Pacific Station so I assumed I could receive that signal right away. No dice. The LAX Airport Police comes in, as does random CB talkers and Taxi dispatches. Picked up some feeds as I was driving around El Segundo today, but mostly static.

My questions: Does this scanner pick up, say "Hollywood" LAPD or "Culver City" police / fire? Am I doing something wrong or does the scanner need to be "programmed"? Am I just too far away from the signals and they will come in as I drive around? Excuse the ignorance and thanks for any tips you can give me.

First, LAPD frequencies are digital and Pro 164 is analog only, so you will be unable to listen to them.
Second, Culver City is on a Motorola trunked system but is monitorable and interesting. You have a lot ot research ahead of you with a learning curve.

Clark

Clark

Did the Radio Shack salesperson tell you the the Pro-164 was capable of listening to the LAPD frequencies ?
If they did, they were misinformed or just plain lied to you.
If you want a digital scanner (Uniden BCD396XT or several others), make your purchase online as it will be
much cheaper. Just search for digital scanner.

Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.