2015 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgolden2

Apparently they were. Yesterday, they were over in KCK jacking around with their officers as they were attempting to locate subjects involved in a KCMO pursuit who were wanted in connection with a homicide investigation. Last night, they were on the MO side following KCPD around.
But none of that traffic was encrypted because they were on a Regional talkgroup which are not encrypted. When a user turns their radio to any of the Regional talkgroups, their encryption (in enabled) is automatically turned off. This feature comes in handy during incidents like yesterday where it was a multi jurisdictional incident. Everyone was able to talk to everyone! [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
But none of that traffic was encrypted because they were on a Regional talkgroup which are not encrypted. When a user turns their radio to any of the Regional talkgroups, their encryption (in enabled) is automatically turned off. This feature comes in handy during incidents like yesterday where it was a multi jurisdictional incident. Everyone was able to talk to everyone! [emoji1]

Yep, I'm familiar with how that all works, and it's a great setup for interoperability. Not sure if that particular branch of CB carries around scanners, but I do know others (particularly in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area) do. I was just stating that they were seen earlier in the day videotaping KCKPD in the area where that pursuit ended. As far as the KCPD encryption goes, they were probably being cautious (if that was indeed the reason why the lockdown occurred).

KenScofield

Premium Subscriber
CJC & Fort Osage Fire

Within the last year, CJC Fire in Blue Springs has switched to KCFD for dispatch services, but with their own talk groups (Dispatch, OPS1, OPS2, & OPS3) and short range simplex fireground channels (FG1, FG2, & FG3). Also recently, Fort Osage Fire in Buckner has switched to 800MHz (I don't know how they have their talkgroups organized), although they are still dispatched on 154.2200 (Lee's Summit FD is still their dispatch service provider).

The database doesn't seem to have the listings.

Anybody able to help?

Thanks!

Ken

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Within the last year, CJC Fire in Blue Springs has switched to KCFD for dispatch services, but with their own talk groups (Dispatch, OPS1, OPS2, & OPS3) and short range simplex fireground channels (FG1, FG2, & FG3). Also recently, Fort Osage Fire in Buckner has switched to 800MHz (I don't know how they have their talkgroups organized), although they are still dispatched on 154.2200 (Lee's Summit FD is still their dispatch service provider).

The database doesn't seem to have the listings.

Anybody able to help?

Thanks!

Ken

All Ft. Osage FD ops are on the Independence/East Jackson MARRS site. Talkgroups are:

135-Dispatch
136-Tactical-1
137-Tactical-2

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Thank you.

And they are in the database under this heading:

Central Jackson County Fire / EMS Talkgroups Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
11 00b D CJC Fire Sim Central Jackson Co Fire: Simulcast of TG 118 & 119 Fire Dispatch
118 076 D CJC Fire 1 Central Jackson Co Fire: Dispatch Fire Dispatch
119 077 D CJC Fire 2 Central Jackson Co Fire: Tac Fire-Tac
120 078 D CJC FG 1 Central Jackson Co Fire: Fireground 1 Fire-Tac
121 079 D CJC FG 2 Central Jackson Co Fire: Fireground 2 Fire-Tac
135 087 D FTOsgeFDDIsp Fort Osage Fire Dispatch ( Dispatched By Lee's Summit Fire) Fire Dispatch
136 088 D FTOsageFDFG2 Fort Osage Fire F2 (Fireground) Fire-Tac
137 089 D FTOsageFDFG3 Fort Osage Fire F3 (talk-around) Fire-Tac

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
North Kansas City Police Dept

For those who monitor this area: it appears that NKC PD may be headed towards full encryption. After watching my pro96com logs for the past two months, I would estimate they're about 85% encrypted at this point. One of the dispatch consoles (radio ID ending in 57) is definitely using full encryption along with a handful of mobile and portable radios. This doesn't seem like one of those situations where personnel are simply forgetting to disengage the switch once they're done transmitting in secure mode. In case anyone was wondering where most of the traffic has disappeared to...that's probably the most likely explanation.

Just an FYI thing...

mgolden2

I work part time for Gladstone dispatch and we have all NKC talkgroups on our consoles. I will try to monitor their console icons and confirm your observation. Thanks for the heads up!

woolvm

Has KCMO gone all encrypted? I've listened for quite a while tonight with nothing heard. Have my 396XT programmed to all the control channels and preferred talkgroups. Silent as a tomb!!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Has KCMO gone all encrypted? I've listened for quite a while tonight with nothing heard. Have my 396XT programmed to all the control channels and preferred talkgroups. Silent as a tomb!!

I'm able to monitor all patrol zones just fine from Downtown KC using the same type of scanner.

mgolden2

Watching the talkgroups on my console, everyone appears to be in the clear. Only tac talkgroups and some tac radios are encrypted.

Matt N0ZOJ

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Some zones use encryption more than others. Metro/South and East are two of them for obvious reasons. North/Shoal creek does when they absolutely need to, however, they tend to stay clear because of Claycomo (KCPD dispatches for them, and CPD radios are not programmed for encryption yet). Clay County Sheriff started using mixed clear/encryption when they recently installed their new consoles, but it's not a frequent thing.

woolvm

I am hearing a lot of Platte County traffic on the KCMO group but not a whole lot else. I live in south Overland Park and used to hear them all quite well. Wonder if the Johnson county control channel has changed from what it used to be or gone out?? - Mike, WB0ZPW

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing a lot of Platte County traffic on the KCMO group but not a whole lot else. I live in south Overland Park and used to hear them all quite well. Wonder if the Johnson county control channel has changed from what it used to be or gone out?? - Mike, WB0ZPW

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to monitor KCMO using the Johnson County control channels? If so, you won't hear anything from the MO side. 851.050, 851.325, 851.600, and 851.8625 are the correct channels to monitor KCPD, KC Fire, Liberty, NKC, etc.

As far as not being able to KCPD, it's possible they "patched in" one or several zone talkgroups at once. The designated patch groups are 33059 and 33200 (former is KCPD Traffic and the latter is KCMO Animal Control Dispatch). KCPD Metro/South was the only group using encryption yesterday evening, but they have since returned to clear.

As far as monitoring Johnson County agencies, the control channels over there are 851.8875, 853.775, and 853.9625. No more 700 MHz frequencies.

Hope this helps.

bctrainers

Morning all,

Had a look through the scanner log this morning, and came across a fair few amount of new TGID's lighting up in the last hour actually. Voice doesn't sound familiar to any other voices on the scanner for dispatches on the Johnson County KS Simulcast. Not seeing these ID's on any web page for KC MARRS. The recordings of these are either static, people doing "test 1 2 3", or the radio activating with no audio. It didn't have the sound of encryption distortion however.

When some of the TGID's are activating, there's a bit of echo going on. Either these are new talk groups for an agency being programmed, or new radios are being tested.

Radio IDs show up as: 3010014, 3010023, 3010202, 3010267, 3010267, 3010277, 3010301

On the following talk groups: 30219, 30223, 30226, 30247, 30297, 30298, 30300, 30301, 30417, 32704

FAoWA1w.png

dyupFVq.png

Anyone have a clue who these TGID's belong to?

KCoax

Premium Subscriber
302xx TG's are JOCO Fire/EMS units. When they dispatch on their dispatch channel they also call those assigned units those individual TG's.

31322 and 31323 I believe belong to the Olathe Community Center. They mostly use 31328 Front Desk.
30300 and 30301 Is probably Olathe.
I have an open submission ticket with about a dozen groups on both state lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.