2018 Tahoe PPV Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that picture was taken in front of Charlotte Motor Speedway in the snow. Purchased her in Texas, unfitted in Texas and drove up to NJ. NC was along the way for some serious dual scanner VIPER listening. This was driven up in January..yes the time where Winter Storm watches were posted for New Orleans while we were there and we had snow in Mississippi and Alabama, and worse...Atlanta, GA was practically shut down over 2 inches of snow. State of Emergency! LOL

No need for any big security :p
Thank you all for the kind words. Appreciate it!

cash082

Premium Subscriber
It's an actual PPV. Here's a pic of her yesterday, summer months I use the stock tires/wheels. I have 2 sets of wheels/tires. The originals and stock suburban tires/wheels that fit her fine.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/vx1190x"><a href="//imgur.com/vx1190x"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cash082

Premium Subscriber
To answer the outstanding antenna question someone asked earlier, yes on the Larsen NMOWBQB. I have since replaced them with PCTEL's. The Larsen's were falling apart after about a year and a half. They were starting to have major paint peeling off them. Half was black. Would not advise on those. Also replacing the scanner antenna with the APX8000 antenna from PCTEL..P/N PCTWSLMR. Again, that Larsen was falling apart too. Not looking too hot. But that scanner antenna has been on my rooftop for about 4 years. Figured I'd try something..different.

Once all the antennas are changed up, I'll add another pic for ya'll.

I might get black screws instead of the plated soon as well.

Further, I have went and got an O5 head to replace the silver colored XTL5000 head on the bottom. That makes everything look one color.

Thank you all for all the compliments.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Cool. By the way, the pics in post 1 are no longer working. That may have been said before, I don't remember, but I'm just saying it in case it hasn't.

scrotumola

For OP... do you have the order codes for this vehicle? This is the ONLY PPV I have seen with the navigation button/arrows on the right side of the steering wheel.

~S~

cash082

Premium Subscriber
scrotumola - I think all the 2018's have it.
According to my order sheet...

This is a 9C1/Police Persuit Package. Model CK15706-4X4 PPV 9C1 Tahoe.
Ordered in September 2017, built and delivered by December 2017.
Upfitted late Dec, delivered to me in January.

UDD-Driver Info Display (new for 2018)
UK3-Radio Controls Steering Wheel
Both are new

Also, I got
JF4 - Pedals , Power Adjustable
1LR- PPV City Breaks Package
B30- Carpet Floor Covering (for better resale value possibly)
BTV-Remote Engine Start
Option IO5 is New for 2018 - 8 Inch Radio color screen Bluetooth, USB port and Android / Apple Auto.
UVC- upgraded for 2018- Rear view camera for backing up on the full 8 inch screen.

Hopefully this helps.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

pmtchr

Premium Subscriber
Very nice. Well done on the setup and install. And obviously you are adjusting for what works and your likes as you work with it. Thanks for sharing!

Any thoughts on the speakers facing the back seat? Especially from passengers?

cash082

Premium Subscriber
Responding to the previous messages - The vehicle base cost is about 15k lower than a regular civilian model. PPV is around 38-39k (I added on the leather heated and cooled seats from the dealer) so mine was close to 42 base. But if you were to go to a Chevy dealer for a regular model - eg LS,LT, LTZ you'd be talking 55k+. Moving on from that - the upfit actually was relatively inexpensive - and I had most of the radios. Lighting stuff, it was a bit of $ but it looks good and is hardly ever used unless someone is dying. I'm not a lighting whacker in any way.

Second question...pmtchr - The back seat passengers love it. Nothing but tones in their ears. Usually they walk out and their ears are ringing!! It's like a real punishment chamber back there. LOL. Jk.
No really, I usually hardly ever have anyone in my back seat. It's just usually me or occasionally a passenger in my front seat. It's actually not bad. In fact, I like how it isn't blasting in your ears it's directed away. Really helps out. If I have any back seat passengers usually I'll lower the radios so they don't hear crap back there loudly.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Very nice install!! I've lusted after a Tahoe PPV as my next vehicle, because I do comm support and disaster comms.

To answer the outstanding antenna question someone asked earlier, yes on the Larsen NMOWBQB. I have since replaced them with PCTEL's. The Larsen's were falling apart after about a year and a half. They were starting to have major paint peeling off them. Half was black. Would not advise on those.

I've heard that Larsen moved their production to China and that folks have had issues with the quality of their antennas since then.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
wwhitby - It's a great choice, no regrets. Roomy, made well, no issues! Owned 2 Tahoe's now.

I have not heard that about Larsen, but I could see it. What a shame.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
wwhitby - It's a great choice, no regrets. Roomy, made well, no issues! Owned 2 Tahoe's now.

I have not heard that about Larsen, but I could see it. What a shame.

Thanks! Maybe one day i'll get one......

Another complaint that i've seen about the newer production Larsen antennas is that the soldering that is done in the base isn't always done properly and the soldered joint breaks eventually.

cash082

Premium Subscriber
No, just the vehicle insurance.
Has an extra bit of insurance for aftermarket stuff installed in the vehicle.
The XTL's aren't that expensive.They are cheap.. only 3-400$ each. They aren't APX'es
Didn't spend what you probably thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.