• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

A Little Story, CH 6, and "Keydowns".

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDRADIONUT

Database Admin
Its too bad they cant be more welcoming ect. Since the hobby needs new blood to keep going in the future...

Hans13

Its too bad they cant be more welcoming ect. Since the hobby needs new blood to keep going in the future...

My thoughts exactly. On a good note, I did recently obtain my technician license. There were more elitist jerks at the testing site than not and I came within a whisker of just walking out. They were real buttholes. After over 30 years of putting it off, in large part due to the attitudes of hams that I encountered, I went ahead and did it. I don't think many people would.

So, now the radio services I use include: CB, MURS, FRS, GMRS, Part 90, and some amateur bands. :)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My thoughts exactly. On a good note, I did recently obtain my technician license. There were more elitist jerks at the testing site than not and I came within a whisker of just walking out. They were real buttholes. After over 30 years of putting it off, in large part due to the attitudes of hams that I encountered, I went ahead and did it. I don't think many people would.

So, now the radio services I use include: CB, MURS, FRS, GMRS, Part 90, and some amateur bands. :)
I'm sorry they treated you that way. Sometimes the old timers need to be reminded that they were once green too. Welcome to a better choice. :wink: 73, n9zas

Hans13

I'm sorry they treated you that way. Sometimes the old timers need to be reminded that they were once green too. Welcome to a better choice. :wink: 73, n9zas

One of the problems is that I'm not green. I have a lot to learn and part of that is due to head trauma and memory loss. I've been involved in radio since I was a kid. I had a pretty good Elmer as a father. I realized early on that some of the questions I was asking some hams were beyond there knowlege and skill. Fortunately, I've known some hams for years and some more recently who are kind and inclusive. Most of them are former military radio operators so we get along very well.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been keeping a low profile on purpose and intend to remain low profile. I only brought it up because it was germane to the subject. Take care and fair waves to you.

Hans13

In case I didn't articulate the point very well... I don't think it's a matter of forgetting people might be green. It is just that the majority that I have ran into are rude, egotistical jerks. They would be this way in any hobby. It seems like I found an inordinate number of them in amateur radio service. I've held some theories on that but this is not the time or place.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget, life is a 2 way street. Coming on like a jerk will usually get a jerk response.

Hans13

Don't forget, life is a 2 way street. Coming on like a jerk will usually get a jerk response.

I am known for being a polite, easy going guy; usually slow to anger. Once pissed off, I am very assertive and direct.

No, it really isn't me causing their behavior.

I have tried very hard to get members of my radio groups to consider amateur radio licensing over the years. The answer is almost always the same. They didn't want to associate with the sorts they encountered quite often in amateur radio service. It's not just me.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I think that sort of response to new hams or anyone new in any sort of group, may it be cb or ham or even a bowling team is a regional behavior. The " holier than thou" attitude seems to vary no matter where you are. :roll: 73, n9zas

Hans13

You might be right. However, I haven't experienced it to such a degree in other groups like I have experienced in amateur radio and some law enforcement associated groups. One motorcycle club that wanted me to join left me with the same impression. They had a large percentage of law enforcement members and was founded by a group of officers. Again, I think these guys would be jerks in anything that they did but something about amateur radio attracted them in greater numbers, IMHO.

Of course, there are some really good people in amateur radio. I'm not trying to paint the whole service membership with a broad brush. I have some very good friends who are hams. Those friends are top notch.

KC2GIU

I really wasn't trying to turn this into a CB vs HAM war, why is it that is what usually happens?

Oh because there are hams here who would do everything they can to always SWAY these CB questions to become hams issues. AND for the most part those hams are not even on CB. Thus, I don't respect their inputs here since most of them are negative. It's possible that the ham discussion board is boring while the CB side is busy here.

I do respect those hams who use the license bands and the citizens bands without being biased one way or the other.

I had moved from one part of the country to another. Not from one state to the neighboring state either. Thus, my move was several states from one to another. In the previous state, ham radio is the polite and friendly and CB was trash talking. Now, down here in the south, it's FLIPPED. I would stay on CB for the most part vs. 2-meters. CB has friendly people here and on Sunday mornings many people meet at the local coffee house. 2-meters down here has cranky people who will not answer your radio request or chew you out for being on the frequency or repeater.

In a good way, CB is heading in the right direction as the sun cycle diminishes the skip ability greatly.

FiveFilter

I like it when the sun cycle reduces the influence of long-distance CB skip. This service was meant to be used for its value as a short-range communication tool, and those who try to use it otherwise are diminishing that value.

For me, the CB brings real benefits on the road, allowing users to give and receive information within a few miles' distance. This can make things easier and safer for participants. I've found most folks to be helpful and friendly in this usage.

The worse CBers are the ones who depend on it to satisfy their antisocial behavior, using their keydowns and other various clown acts. It's like they are stuck solidly in their schoolyard prank days. Their joy in life seems to come from making other people as miserable as they are, and they deeply resent anyone who is not. You see the same in all other fields, such as the Internet with its destructive hackers. Such behavior just seems to be built into a certain percentage of the populaton. I wonder what kind of parents they make.

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
There really isn't much to add to this conversation that hasn't already been said, other than to say: there is good behavior and bad behavior everywhere. It doesn't really matter what type of group it is (e.g. CB'ers vs hams) or where the bad behavior is emanating from. The best thing we ALL can do is either not respond at all (people tend to stop eventually if no one replies), or reply using good behavior. Most people are what they are and won't change their behavior just because other people want them to. So WE can just get over it, go elsewhere, or reply in the manner we'd like to see/hear from everyone. Getting angry and loud on the air (regardless of what service that transmission is using...amateur radio, CB, FRS, GMRS, etc.) generally only inflames the situation. I've found that speaking quietly to a loud, raucous audience (audience being 1 person or many people) quiets them down as well. If you speak quietly, they have to be quiet to hear you. It works.

On the subject of upgraded power (legal or illegal), I think it would be safe to say that many people do it just for the fun of building and/or designing and implementing it. For many, the fun is in the process of getting there. It is unfortunate that for some it is just because they want to be the loudest kid on the block. It is also unfortunate that many do not know that extra loudness is not a one to one to extra watts equation.

Just my 2p worth. And, BTW, I am a CBer, and a ham, and a user of other services such as FRS, GMRS, etc. I think we should all try to enjoy our hobby...whatever frequencies that hobby uses.

TheSpaceMann

I like it when the sun cycle reduces the influence of long-distance CB skip. This service was meant to be used for its value as a short-range communication tool, and those who try to use it otherwise are diminishing that value.

For me, the CB brings real benefits on the road, allowing users to give and receive information within a few miles' distance. This can make things easier and safer for participants. I've found most folks to be helpful and friendly in this usage.

The worse CBers are the ones who depend on it to satisfy their antisocial behavior, using their keydowns and other various clown acts. It's like they are stuck solidly in their schoolyard prank days. Their joy in life seems to come from making other people as miserable as they are, and they deeply resent anyone who is not. You see the same in all other fields, such as the Internet with its destructive hackers. Such behavior just seems to be built into a certain percentage of the populaton. I wonder what kind of parents they make.
When I'm in LA, I occasionally jump onto the 147.435 repeater. Most of the time it's almost impossible to use! People are cursing at each other, playing music, calling people the "N" word, spewing antisemitic and anti Christian rants, talking without using call signs, and constantly jamming the repeater! It's actually a lot worse than I ever hear on CB, and these are supposed to be HAMS!!! https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web

kd7mxi

i hear those who started th skip shooting on 6 were ww2 tuskeegee guys with vintage highpower ww2 surplus radios wich explains a lot of the slang in there talk

Mustang131

Wow..you get misable by listening to cb? Go to 80 where it's safe??!!
How do you recieve only a few mile on this portion of the hf band?
Fine buisness Bob on the school yard parks. Working my 12 inverted beverages this evening.

Has anyone read the thread? The superball is what black people did to music, make it interesting. Sit down and enjoy what Americans can do with free time and too much beer.
My TenTec never shuts off 6, 11, or 28.

zzdiesel

The worse CBers are the ones who depend on it to satisfy their antisocial behavior, using their keydowns and other various clown acts. It's like they are stuck solidly in their schoolyard prank days. Their joy in life seems to come from making other people as miserable as they are, and they deeply resent anyone who is not. You see the same in all other fields, such as the Internet with its destructive hackers. Such behavior just seems to be built into a certain percentage of the population. I wonder what kind of parents they make.
Thanks FiveFilter. I concur with your statements. That would make CB so much better & bearable.

KC2GIU

From what I've noticed on CB, many of the so called 'jokers' do not have SSB. Thus, it's easy to ditch them.

As for the guy dealing with repeaters being trashy, There is always 2-meter simplex. 146.415 is the best hangout when in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls region. 50+ hams all monitor that simplex 24/7 and there are people on the frequency literally all hours of the night. It was once so popular that someone tied an echolink connection to the 146.415 because of all the activity. People from New Zealand got a kick out of that because we were awake talking and it was the middle of their day.

TheSpaceMann

From what I've noticed on CB, many of the so called 'jokers' do not have SSB. Thus, it's easy to ditch them.

As for the guy dealing with repeaters being trashy, There is always 2-meter simplex. 146.415 is the best hangout when in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls region. 50+ hams all monitor that simplex 24/7 and there are people on the frequency literally all hours of the night. It was once so popular that someone tied an echolink connection to the 146.415 because of all the activity. People from New Zealand got a kick out of that because we were awake talking and it was the middle of their day.
Wow! Is that frequency now on Echolink or Broadcastify? What is the Echolink node number? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.